After re-installing Win 8 I cannot access folders on drives

Associate
Hi,

I unfortunately had to re-install Windows 8.0 on my PC yesterday. I went through my usual process of disconnecting any additional drives before formatting/installing (just in case). Re-installed Windows 8.0, installed some updates, etc. and a few bits of software. I then reconnected my two additional drives.

The strange thing is, when I tried to access anything within folders on those two drives I had to obtain permission, which I went though the one or two steps and all was okay :confused:

... at least it seemed that way. This morning I was trying to save something to a folder (from the internet via Google Chrome) to one of the drives and got an annoying pop-up saying that "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." I then click next and get that screen asking if I want the following program to make changes to the computer... I clicked okay and then get presented with, "You have been denied permissions to access this folder. To game access to this folder you will need to use the security tab." :confused:

This is really odd as I've never had this occur with any of the previous pre-Windows 8 operating systems that I've installed in the past (Win 95 - Win 7) - I've always had immediate read/write access to my drives in the past.

Is there something I can do to sort this out, preferably without having to try and gain permission/access on a per-folder basis? And as far as I know I am administrator on this PC.

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quick update: Just had a quick look again, and it appears to be only one directory inside another that I cannot access for some reason. This inaccessible directory also contains several other folders. These just contain files that I've downloaded over the past years, so it's not like system files or anything.

I haven't go through every single folder yet, but from what I can tell all the other directories are accessible.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I tried via windows (right click on folder> properties> security> advanced> "you must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click continue... > You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user...!!!"

I'm not sure how to do it via the command line.

I should be admin - how can I check to make sure? There shouldn't be any encryption.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not really that clued up on command line stuff. Would you have any pointers here. I don't really have any idea where to start to be honest :(

Soldato
You should be able to right click on the Drive -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced

In this screen it will tell you the owner, hit the "Change" button, type your username in and hit "Check Names", it should underline your username.

Then hit ok.

Associate
OP
Okay that sort of worked. It was what I originally tried but I think I left something out when I first tried.

However when I do this I get this error message: E:\Downloads\...\xxxx.mp4 (xxxx being the file name) Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I get that for a few files and then it's done. But If I then try and play that mp4 mentioned, Media Player Classic/VLC gives an error saying "file not found". The same happens with any file I try and access (mp4, avi, PDf, etc.) within those folders :(

Associate
OP
I think I've finally sorted it now. I also needed to check; "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object". Now those files actually work.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom