Ageing PC, potential upgrades?

Soldato
Thanks for that, I’ll definitely have a play once my new ssd and ram are delivered

Once CIA2 is enabled, you should install CPU-Z. CPU-Z will report the dynamic overclocking CIA2 is doing under load, you will see CPU speeds rise and fall accordingly in real time.

That's a pain. The motherboard does apparently support 8GB RAM so you are probably looking at getting 4x 2GB sticks.

Though, did you try reseating the memory or just one stick at a time to see if that would post?

In regards to upgrades, I don't really feel it is worthwhile either overclocking or upgrading the CPU. Overclocking does add strain to the components so if you want it to last longer, I personally would not bother. If of course you just want it to tick over for a couple more years and want improvements in the mean time, feel free.

Another option would be upgrading to a Q9xxx CPU would give some reasonable improvements and use less power. They should worth fine with a p35 based board, but best to double-check with the board's documentation if you decide to go this route. Again, not sure it is worth the effort unless you can get one extremely cheaply.

SSD is a very worthy upgrade and a 480GB one should still be useful for a potential new system further down the line.

Associate
OP
That's a pain. The motherboard does apparently support 8GB RAM so you are probably looking at getting 4x 2GB sticks.

Though, did you try reseating the memory or just one stick at a time to see if that would post?

In regards to upgrades, I don't really feel it is worthwhile either overclocking or upgrading the CPU. Overclocking does add strain to the components so if you want it to last longer, I personally would not bother. If of course you just want it to tick over for a couple more years and want improvements in the mean time, feel free.

Another option would be upgrading to a Q9xxx CPU would give some reasonable improvements and use less power. They should worth fine with a p35 based board, but best to double-check with the board's documentation if you decide to go this route. Again, not sure it is worth the effort unless you can get one extremely cheaply.

SSD is a very worthy upgrade and a 480GB one should still be useful for a potential new system further down the line.

Yes the memory I purchased was 4 sticks of 2gb. Not sure if it’s because they’re not 800mzh, they’re faster.

Might try your idea of fitting one stick at a time!

Back
Top Bottom