Ageism should we tolerate it?

Soldato
Worth noting that 'disposable income' is defined as earnings after tax.

65+ (£32k) has a little less than 25-34 (£34k) age group, but more than 16-24 (£26k)
See here:

Of course, around 75% of 65+ own their homes outright (no mortgage), so pay no housing costs.

Clearly, as a group, after housing is taken into account, they will have a lot more 'disposable income'.
Be fair if they're at 65 and don't own their home they are never ever going to be above the poverty threshold. Never.

Soldato
Yes they absolutely do. No store is going to give margin away. They won't be making a loss but the last thing they want to report to investors is 'weve given some of your cash away'.

You're right revenue may increase due to increased sales, but folk will still be looking at the margin figure.

Really? I don't know how to put this without sounding like I'm being catty - so I'll embrace it:

Have you ever heard of sales?

:D

Soldato
This thread seems to be full of two sets of people:

Those who are focusing on well off old people and refusing to accept there are any other type.

Those who are focusing on poor old people and refusing to accept there are any other type.

Both of these sets of people are determined to believe that the other set is also talking about the same people as they are, and therefore are being utterly idiotic.

Meanwhile - who gives a toss? Is there nothing more important to complain about? God help someone tries to do something to help someone - unless that something 100% matches exactly what you think should be done.

Soldato
Be fair if they're at 65 and don't own their home they are never ever going to be above the poverty threshold. Never.
The Pensioner poverty rate is both lower than the 25% who don't own their homes outright, and also lower than working age adults and much, much lower than children.

Besides, I was refuting your claim that disposable cash wouldn't be higher for the retired.

Soldato
Really? I don't know how to put this without sounding like I'm being catty - so I'll embrace it:

Have you ever heard of sales?

:D
Have sales ever heard of a COO? Yes, when they get their ass kicked and run off to do as they're told.

IIRC Iceland stated a few months ago that they were going to do everything they could to hold their own brand pricing, basically even if it cost them "margin".
<snip>
This is a good post, I am reading it slowly and didn't want you to think I had ignored - thank you!

Back
Top Bottom