• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

agp upgrade...

Associate
worth it me upgrading to this:

XFX GeForce 7800 GS 256MB

will it fit in my shuttle?

will it give a lot more performance?

how much will i get for my x800 pro (powercolour) it's got it's box etc...

would it be better to get a x800pro that flashes to xt pe speeds?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It won't give you that much more performance because it is about on a par with a 6800ultra(give or take a little). If you can either get an X800pro that flashes to XTPE speeds or a 6800gt or ultra cheaper then they will do an equally good job, possibly with a bit of mild overclocking.

I don't know exactly how much you should be looking for with your existing X800pro but maybe somewhere in the region of £100, lower rather than higher.

Soldato
I wouldnt say its worth it, not point paying hundreds just for a extra feature like SM3, its not even that amazing but its a small technological advance every1 says is a must, its not

Permabanned
The ones who bash it aint got the card to show it normally, I for one was well impressed long ago playing FarCry normally then a 2nd time with patch 1.3 and sm 3.0 / p.s 3.0 and HDR.

Not often I play a game twice.

You cant compair apples to oranges, only apples to apples.

Soldato
I've got a 6800nu - and I bash it so there :D (I aint bashing it but it isnt that amazing, a lot of hoo har about nothing)

From guru3d
"Is SM 3.0 technology a huge visual advantage over 2.0? Nope, not even the slightest bit. Yet any technological advantage is always welcome and preferred over a previous generation's development."

Permabanned
That is the opinion of 1 person on that site, lots of sites post crap others dont swallow, esp anandtech with their lies all the time esp when purevideo was new and supposed to be fixed, I would rather read 20 sites then make my own assumptions by what i can see on my screen not some pics on a site that will never ever show up the same as seeing it infront of you.

Fact is Id rather have these newer extentions, even if they are still virgin than not have them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not worth it, see here

Taken from the verdict :-

'The GeForce 7800 GS for the AGP platform is hitting a pretty sweet spot for me. It keeps up with the GeForce 6800 GT and even (not produced anymore) Ultra in most test. For those that wonder why no 6800 ultra results where included, simple .. I do not have an 6800 Ultra AGP version at hand anymore.'

Its the same all around to, its hardly any faster than the 6800 GT, or the Ultra.

In the latest games like Fear/CoD2, the x850 wallops it, and that was against the BFG Overclocked 7800 GS as well, you can get the x850 XT now as they have arrived back in.

As above wasting hundreds of pounds on SM3.0 is not worth it, it started with the 6 series, yes it was that long ago, you would think there would be more games out there by now using it, but nope, and by the time you upgrade again they still wont be flooding out, also the 7800 GS is at best 1fps ahead of the x850 with HDR in HL2.

Its a pity you have a shuttle, as you could have got a 7800 GT, plus a PCI-E mobo for the same price as the GS.

Last edited:
Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Not worth it, see
Its a pity you have a shuttle, as you could have got a 7800 GT, plus a PCI-E mobo for the same price as the GS.

It this true, can you really get a 7800GT and a NF4 m/b for £233 ?

Back
Top Bottom