Ah, summer... how is everyone's water temp holding up?

Soldato
Thanks guys
Reworked my loop a bit while installing the sensor
Just listening to the snap,crackle,pop only watercoolers would
Recognise in their sleep lol
Won't stress it too hard till the bubbles stop
But Gigabyte SIV is actually picking the sensor up OK
Will obviously double check it with some of the software you guys mentioned
All these years without one
Now I will be addicted to checking it lol

Soldato
EWCd4Us.jpg

PC been on since yesterday - a few hours of Warzone in there. Did also have the aircon on a bit too hence the low minimums. Might have to put back on, cant believe how warm it is in here at 6am! :p

Associate
Though am banned by my missus from soldering lmao
After a slight accident where the soldering iron
Rolled off the worktop
and i caught it by reflex to save the carpet getting burned
Of course I caught it by the hot part
I highly recommend never ever doing that lol
I can't help wondering, are you banned because you then dropped it and burnt the carpet or did you keep hold of it and your wife had to deal with the consequences?
Do you see any noticeable difference between your probes in the coolant ?
I have 4 temperature probes of the same make/model and an Aquacomputer High Flow Next flow/temperature gauge. I tested them before the build and was impressed that they all had the same readings.
Due to the experience of my previous noisy air-cooled PC I decided that to get the best compromise between noise and temperature with the new one I needed complete control.
So I have 3 rads and a probe on the output of each. With an Aquacomputer Octo and Aquasuite I am able to control the fans on each rad based on the temperature of the water leaving that rad.
From pre-build research I believed that the water temperature is constant throughout the loop however I found that the variation is small but significant.
Right now the water leaving rad 2 is 33.8C and it cools the CPU which is around 45C core before passing through the High Flow Next which shows 34.2C. After rad 3 it is down to 33.9C.
During gaming I have seen a delta between the hottest and "coolet" parts of the loop of up to 2C.
The 4th probe is used to control pump speed (a limited range) so it had to be connected to a mobo temp input. This was annoying because not only does the Gigabyte X570 Master only read to 1C precision but it shows an inaccuracy compared to those via the Octo. It currently shows 32C but the nearest probe (outlet of smallest rad) shows 33.8C.

Soldato
@therealdippy
Yeah I kept hold of it
She was asleep
Woke her up to show her my hand
She just said oh that must have hurt and went
Back to sleep
I got banned because when she went in the kitchen
In the morning
Every item of frozen (it was no longer frozen lol) food
Out of the freezer had been used
In a vain attempt to stop the agonising pain

Soldato
@therealdippy
Yeah I kept hold of it
She was asleep
Woke her up to show her my hand
She just said oh that must have hurt and went
Back to sleep
I got banned because when she went in the kitchen
In the morning
Every item of frozen (it was no longer frozen lol) food
Out of the freezer had been used
In a vain attempt to stop the agonising pain
A bag of peas didn't work then, so you had to go further and grab the frozen chicken, sausages, meat pies etc lol :cry::cry::cry:

Soldato
A bag of peas didn't work then, so you had to go further and grab the frozen chicken, sausages, meat pies etc lol :cry::cry::cry:
That's almost exactly how it went lol
Peas,frozen cauliflower florettes,mixed vegetables
Ice lollies, anything frozen was fair game
To be fair I started with the cheap vegetables
I did leave the more expensive items till later :cry::cry::cry:

Associate
OP
I can't help wondering, are you banned because you then dropped it and burnt the carpet or did you keep hold of it and your wife had to deal with the consequences?

I have 4 temperature probes of the same make/model and an Aquacomputer High Flow Next flow/temperature gauge. I tested them before the build and was impressed that they all had the same readings.
Due to the experience of my previous noisy air-cooled PC I decided that to get the best compromise between noise and temperature with the new one I needed complete control.
So I have 3 rads and a probe on the output of each. With an Aquacomputer Octo and Aquasuite I am able to control the fans on each rad based on the temperature of the water leaving that rad.
From pre-build research I believed that the water temperature is constant throughout the loop however I found that the variation is small but significant.
Right now the water leaving rad 2 is 33.8C and it cools the CPU which is around 45C core before passing through the High Flow Next which shows 34.2C. After rad 3 it is down to 33.9C.
During gaming I have seen a delta between the hottest and "coolet" parts of the loop of up to 2C.
The 4th probe is used to control pump speed (a limited range) so it had to be connected to a mobo temp input. This was annoying because not only does the Gigabyte X570 Master only read to 1C precision but it shows an inaccuracy compared to those via the Octo. It currently shows 32C but the nearest probe (outlet of smallest rad) shows 33.8C.

Around 1.5 degree difference is normally my max between my reservoir temp sensor and my inline temp sensor later in the loop.

During this summer weather it's been creeping a bit closer to 2 degrees, but has never exceeded that.

Temperature sensors can be calibrated differently but I actually had to RMA my inline sensor as the first just straight up died. Second shows the same differences so I'm confident to say the difference in readings is likely correct and just the reality of me having 4 rads and 4 blocks (CPU, GPU front and rear and memory). I don't quite think I'm at 2 litres of water in my loop, but I can't be far off it lol. Maybe like 1.5-1.6l. Next time I do a drain I'll check.

I actually asked this in another community as I was worried at first but all replies suggested it's normal to have around a 1 to 2 degree difference in different parts of the loop. Any more and it could suggest a flow issue.

V F

V F

Soldato
EWCd4Us.jpg

PC been on since yesterday - a few hours of Warzone in there. Did also have the aircon on a bit too hence the low minimums. Might have to put back on, cant believe how warm it is in here at 6am! :p

I'm jealous you have AC. Did you never calibrate the virtual flow on your D5 Next, or did you cut those parts out?

A few hours gaming tonight. EC_TEMP1 is the hottest part in the loop which I thought was the best place to hook it up to the CPU outlet.
mainsensor.png

hwmac.png

hwcputemp.png

gputemps.png

Soldato
I'm jealous you have AC. Did you never calibrate the virtual flow on your D5 Next, or did you cut those parts out?
To be honest I didn't even know that was a thing! Looks like it has some 'virtual flow sensor' eh? but no easy way for me to calibrate it atm with current loop setup :)
Nice temps you have there though, very small deltas between core, mem and hotspot!

Associate
OP
mFdukYK.png

I found that adding an active backplate to my 3080 while not financially sensible (I did manage to luckily pick mine up unused for £50 off Fleabay), it did manage to help a few degrees on the memory junction/hot spot. Likely just heat transfer through the back of the card onto the thermal pads.

I actually got my main GPU waterblock from OCUK b-stock and while the first one they sent me was a straight return, thankfully the second b-stock attempt while without a sleeve cover, look unused. So I got front and back all in for like £140. Just 3080 FTW3 EKWB Vector version 1, but I'm really happy with it. In the year or two to come I guess if I ever marginally upgrade to a 3090 (More VRAM/bit better performance) this block will be good for it as well.

Going to skip first 4xxx iterations and be patient on a GPU upgrade for years to come. My next move will be AM5 at some point.

Ignore the power draw above at 213w, sadly I have one of the 3080 FTW3 cards from EVGA that flat out refuses to draw over 400w, even when using a 450w BIOS. EVGA are plagued with original 3080/3090 power draw issues for anyone trying to max out the cards.

So after months of posting about it on the official EVGA forums and EVGA themselves ignoring the issue, I actually found out if you flash a MSI BIOS (my card is an LHR variant) from this card https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rtx-3080-suprim-x-lhr.b9129 onto your 3080 FTW3, while it breaks power reporting, it actually allows the card to draw up to 500w. No Asus/Gigabtye 3080 BIOS works with the EVGA 3080 FTW3, I mean, they flash and run, but they actually stop one of three pins working, so you end up with LESS power draw.

While I've not measured this MSI BIOS with clamps, I have done it through my HX1000i iCUE digital power readings, and just crudely subtracting CPU power draw and leaving a margin for all other components. Not to mention running something like Metro Exodus EE, which easily power limits on a 400w limit if you crank everything up to max and want to try and run core at like 2100mhz. Doesn't power limit on the MSI BIOS until you get up to like 2160mhz.

When I posted this topic I was playing FF7R with the Flawless widescreen plugin, so running in 3400x1440 and with the internal resolution set to 130%

0fxprMg.png

Given how poorly optimised this port is, not only can it use over 7GB of VRAM quite often, it easily draws 450~500w on those settings above. Hence my GPU at 45 degrees on a warm night.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a couple of hours gaming mid week, the room is warm anyway as it`s south facing and my case doesn`t have the best airflow, CPU was 69 degrees, ambient temp was 32 degrees, coolant temp was 44 degrees, GPU 64 degrees, memory junction 62 degrees and the hotspot was 77 degrees.

V F

V F

Soldato
:cry:

Hot, hot, hot. Switched the computer on tonight and the water starts off at 26.4C. Wonder what it'll be like gaming later. I can see the room being toasty.

Associate
OP
:cry:

Hot, hot, hot. Switched the computer on tonight and the water starts off at 26.4C. Wonder what it'll be like gaming later. I can see the room being toasty.

Zval5hq.png

On desktop with nothing running.... lol. This is with 4 rads, 3x360 and a 60mm 120mm. Two of the 360s are XR7s, so 54mm thick :cry:

The fact my fans are at over 1000RPM says it all, seeing as water temp is normally only at 32 degrees under load :eek:

V F

V F

Soldato
Watching some live streams the water is at 29.7C with the fans also hitting 1000 - 1200rpm. Radiators aren't even feeling luke warm. Yet.

Back
Top Bottom