• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AI in a CPU - what would/could it actually do ?

Soldato
Companies seem to think putting AI in the name will make products more attractive but I think most people now are bored of the whole AI thing.

No one other than Nvidia has really made any decent money out of AI and unless things change then even the wheels will begin to fall off for Nvidia soon.

Associate
Companies seem to think putting AI in the name will make products more attractive but I think most people now are bored of the whole AI thing.

No one other than Nvidia has really made any decent money out of AI and unless things change then even the wheels will begin to fall off for Nvidia soon.
IMHO, many things around us today will utilise or be affected by AI in some way. Advertising, design marketing etc. Cars, games, weather models, space, medicines, travel, politics etc. I'm no fan of AI, TBH I find it scary but it's here and there is no going back. Sure Nvidia will make a stack and it wouldn't surprise me for AMD's AI sales this year to be 5/6 Bn $ and that is just the start!
If the wheels fall off anything then it maybe the Luddites band wagon.
People wanted a man with a red flag to walk in front of a motor car once but maybe they were wrong about that too.
Times are a changing, and fast, very fast.

Soldato
IMHO, many things around us today will utilise or be affected by AI in some way. Advertising, design marketing etc. Cars, games, weather models, space, medicines, travel, politics etc. I'm no fan of AI, TBH I find it scary but it's here and there is no going back. Sure Nvidia will make a stack and it wouldn't surprise me for AMD's AI sales this year to be 5/6 Bn $ and that is just the start!
If the wheels fall off anything then it maybe the Luddites band wagon.
People wanted a man with a red flag to walk in front of a motor car once but maybe they were wrong about that too.
Times are a changing, and fast, very fast.
Times aren’t changing though, we’ve had all this AI stuff for years although it’s not even really AI just algorithms where you feed data in and they spit data out.

Some people seem to think it’s only just been invented and that in 5 years everything will be AI driven but that’s not the case, progress will continue as before like it has throughout history and once the companies investing in all the money into the hardware find there not actually making much back then investment will dry up.

Associate
Times aren’t changing though, we’ve had all this AI stuff for years although it’s not even really AI just algorithms where you feed data in and they spit data out.

Some people seem to think it’s only just been invented and that in 5 years everything will be AI driven but that’s not the case, progress will continue as before like it has throughout history and once the companies investing in all the money into the hardware find there not actually making much back then investment will dry up.
It’s definitely hit its peak, and mainly because investors are blindly throwing money at anything labelled AI.

Like you said, it’s not even AI, just prediction engines - they don’t learn beyond what they’re trained on.

Associate
There is definitely a lot of blind hype and money throwing. As with any tech, it still depends on innovative and coordinated individuals (who have a good understanding of the tools, limitations, and how to go about using them) applying the technology in interesting and useful ways.
There has always been a dearth of talent in the incumbent business community as it's stifled or downed out by the general bs, shysters, organisational dynamics, and incompetent leadership. Eventually some people and groups here and there will get something useful done that will get the ball rolling to produce some impressive and 'transformative' advances.

(I don't pretend to have any insight, talent or any idea what it will look like or how to go about it, just observations of the business world)

Last edited:
Suspended
There is definitely a lot of blind hype and money throwing. As with any tech, it still depends on innovative and coordinated individuals (who have a good understanding of the tools, limitations, and how to go about using them) applying the technology in interesting and useful ways.
There has always been a dearth of talent in the incumbent business community as it's stifled or downed out by the general bs, shysters, organisational dynamics, and incompetent leadership. Eventually some people and groups here and there will get something useful done that will get the ball rolling to produce some impressive and 'transformative' advances.

(I don't pretend to have any insight, talent or any idea what it will look like or how to go about it, just observations of the business world)

Its a case of must, AI at this point is an unknown with massive potential, if anyone in the business world doesn't treat it as having this massive potential they might not get their fair share in it if that potential is realised.

Its a bit like Nokia not keeping up with phone innovations thinking ah... its all just a fad.

It is FOMO and it look's daft, it's actually anything but daft.

Last edited:
Associate
Its a case of must, AI at this point is an unknown with massive potential, if anyone in the business world doesn't treat it as having this massive potential they might not get their fair share in it if that potential is realised.

Its a bit like Nokia not keeping up with phone innovations thinking ah... its all just a fad.

It is FOMO and it look's daft, it's actually anything but daft.

Don't doubt the potential, the rewards, or consequences of getting left behind.

Thing is 95% of the business world havent got a clue. Their idea of AI is to replace an individual with an AI system doing some like-like, based along the 80/20 rule. The 80/20 rule is short term productivity boost, but long term leads to strategic failure as it builds dysfunction into your organisational processes that are tolerable initially, but become unmanageable at scale or when layered with upstream/downstream processes in various parts of the organisation (let alone any changes).
See it all the time, its just the nature of it.

Last edited:
Suspended
Don't doubt the potential, the rewards, or consequences of getting left behind.

Thing is 95% of the business world havent got a clue. Their idea of AI is to replace an individual with an AI system doing some like-like, based along the 80/20 rule. The 80/20 rule is short term productivity boost, but long term leads to strategic failure as it builds dysfunction into your organisational processes that are tolerable initially, but become unmanageable at scale or when layered with upstream/downstream processes in various parts of the organisation (let alone any changes).
See it all the time, its just the nature of it.

Yeah, the end state drive for all company's is zero or close to zero employment, the thing with that is its not a question of if, its a question of when.

Elon Musk is right, we have to start thinking about how we are going to change our entire economic model (IE Universal Basic Income) and about how people are going to find meaning in life without employment.

Last edited:
Associate
Amen. Probably fabricated for clicks anyway judging by the gormless thumbnail.

Already happening with a lot of advertising content going AI driven. Talentless coasters are the ones in trouble, skilled artists and higher performing people are going to be fine if they embrace AI tools.
Which is what we need, far too much money and resources have been wasted on these talentless, good for nothing money scroungers this past decade.
AI needs to make all of them completely obsolete and make them use their brains for a change instead of catering to little idiot kids who dont know any better

Associate
Yeah, the end state drive for all company's is zero or close to zero employment, the thing with that is its not a question of if, its a question of when.

Elon Musk is right, we have to start thinking about how we are going to change our entire economic model (IE Universal Basic Income) and about how people are going to find meaning in life without employment.
This is what I find scary, that we will at some point in the future be reliant on the government giving you an income and having more control over people. All these dystopian sci fi films are looking ever more realistic, not in our lifetime but it looks like it could come.

Associate
This is what I find scary, that we will at some point in the future be reliant on the government giving you an income and having more control over people. All these dystopian sci fi films are looking ever more realistic, not in our lifetime but it looks like it could come.
I agree with you. So let me ask, what is the point of all this 'immigration?' I know why but I'm not going to get into it here. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts.

Suspended
I agree with you. So let me ask, what is the point of all this 'immigration?' I know why but I'm not going to get into it here. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts.

Its multifaceted.

To keep up a population given that we are well below a replacement birth-rate.
To fill jobs that can't be filled with our native population.

There are also more nefarious interests.

Employers like high immigration because the supply and demand power dynamics favours them when there is an abundance of cheap labour, "well if you don't work for minimum wage on zero hour contracts with no benefits or paid holidays there are 200 others queuing at the door who will" it profits employers by stagnating wages reducing employment costs.

Landlords love it too, again supply and demand dynamics, more competition for housing means you can drive up rents and as a bonus do less maintenance to those properties because if its a bit dilapidated and there's some black mould here and there what are you going to do? There's no where else for you to go and if you do there are 200 other people queuing at my door offering me more rent than you're paying!

Sucks to be you...

Last edited:
Associate
Its multifaceted.

To keep up a population given that we are well below a replacement birth-rate.
To fill jobs that can't be filled with our native population.

There are also more nefarious interests.

Employers like high immigration because the supply and demand power dynamics favours them when there is an abundance of cheap labour, "well if you don't work for minimum wage on zero hour contracts with no benefits or paid holidays there are 200 others queuing at the door who will" it profits employers by stagnating wages reducing employment costs.

Landlords love it too, again supply and demand dynamics, more competition for housing means you can drive up rents and as a bonus do less maintenance to those properties because if its a bit dilapidated and there's some black mould here and there what are you going to do? There's no where else for you to go and if you do there are 200 other people queuing at my door offering me more rent than you're paying!

Sucks to be you...
Ok here goes...
The reason we are supposedly below replacement rate is because everything is too expensive now. People can't afford multiple kids.
But even if it was the case,why destroy a culture just for money?
You are correct there is something very wrong happening. I think we should leave it at that. If you want a debate I'm more than happy to talk to you in private chat.

Associate
There are definitely some positives to AI, but atm its jut a buzzword that most people have no idea how it'll help them out day to day
The one where you can 're-dress' females is quite the thing though :p We all seen the woman on the plane right? That is not real! Ironic really.

Associate
OP
There are definitely some positives to AI, but atm its jut a buzzword that most people have no idea how it'll help them out day to day
Absolutely, hence the thread asking.

I’m now wondering how powerful the npu sections of a cpu will be compared to a typical gpu. Would there be much point to having cpu processing if the gpu outstripped its computing power by miles?

Soldato
As a software developer I'm not worried about being replaced by AI. Some of my colleagues rely heavily on it to help them write code and... unsurprisingly their code sucks.

Agreed at this stage. But it’s the speed of advancement that is worrying to me. Never in our lives have we seen something technological evolve so fast that will have such an impact on humanity.

Back
Top Bottom