AIO change and recommendations

Associate
Hi folks,

I'm in need of recommendations and suggestions.
At present i have the 9900k @5ghz on all threads and it's being cooled by the ocuk 240mm aio. Before anyone says anything i had a 8600k before upgrading and it seems to do the job fine. Temps get to around mid 80s if left stressing cpu.
That said I'd like to get as good a cooler as is possible.
Case i got is a phanteks enthoo pro m. Front panel can't be used for the aio in how it's setup so a 240mm is best but getting all kinds of conflicted or confusing data from the net on what is good.

I didn't appear to win the lottery on my chip as going to 5.1ghz makes one core unstable during tests and pumping in extra voltage don't help so leaving it there as not a fan of going too deep into overclocking.

Associate
OP
i get spikes of up to 80 (in things like the new Modern Warfare and BF V) but really takes awhile for it to get much higher as i've got insane amount of fresh air coming into the case when it reaches that point. Once the spike is over it takes a second for it to drop back down to 50-60.
My main aim is to decrease the delta from idle to top of the spike so the cpu lasts as long as possible. its a pre emptive move for down the line when games and everything start using all the cores on something like a 9900k.

Soldato
I would only use AIOs with threaded fittings, fill port, etc. That way you can top up/change coolant as needed, change parts if they go bad, cut hoses to proper length, add additional radiator and/or waterblocks, etc. Alphacool have several AIOs with above features. Many also have quick connect fittings for use with additional waterblocks and radiators.

Edit: Get one that gives pump lift and flowrate. If company doesn't give pump performance specs their pump probably isn't flowing as much as young guy after a couple pints .. about 21mL/sec which is about 70 liter/hour .. pump should have a lift rating of 0.85-1meter or more. As a comparison D5 pump is rated 1500liter/hour and 3.9m lift

Last edited:
Soldato
Avoid Kraken X62 (or anything requiring NZXT'S bloody awful CAM software).

I've got one and whilst it did a great job cooling my i5 2500k, it's pathetic for my 3700X.

I wonder if it's got any value second hand, so I can trade it in for something else...

Back
Top Bottom