AiO lifespan?

Soldato
Hey peeps,

I just realised my Antec Kuhler 1220 is 3 years old and out of warranty as of last week; any reason to be concerned?

Planning on a new Ryzen build, and there seems to be a pump bracket available for this cooler on AM4, but am I taking any risks with leaks if I do so? I guess pump failure would result in throttling but not damage anything?

Thanks!

Soldato
I'll make a special thread when my AIO dies.

2009 to 2017 and counting with a Corsair H50 (120 rad) on a 2.66GHz i5 750 (also 2009) overclocked to 4GHz since then.

If you're wanting to be as sure as you can be then examine the tubing and connections all the way round for flexibility and any cracking.

Associate
Mine lasted about 5 years, but I found it lost its potency before that. The pump rattled to death in the end. I replaced it with a Noctua D15 and have never looked back.

Soldato
OP
Mine lasted about 5 years, but I found it lost its potency before that. The pump rattled to death in the end. I replaced it with a Noctua D15 and have never looked back.

Tbh I've been running the pump a little below full voltage because it chunters less... But I think for Ryzen I would concur that air cooling is "good enough" for now and probably not get another AiO.

Associate
Tbh I've been running the pump a little below full voltage because it chunters less... But I think for Ryzen I would concur that air cooling is "good enough" for now and probably not get another AiO.
A top of the line air cooler will probably perform just as well as a standard aio, whilst also remaining quieter. They come with their problems with space being the major one, especially if you're using tall ram. They do have a few new designs to help minimise the space issue, though.

Soldato
Top tier air coolers except for Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme cool almost as well as CLCs mostly because they have much lower airflow and quieter fans .. slow the CLC fans down to same noise level as air cooler and air cooler are just as good and sometimes better. Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme has high airflow fans and is as loud as many CLCs at full speed and actually out performs most of them too. Air coolers last forever compared to CLCs maybe 5 years before pump starts wearing out and coolant level starts to go down. But with air coolers there is only the fan/s to wear out and replacing fans is not near as expensive as replacing entire cooler. Add to this that air coolers are lower cost than most CLCs and air becomes the clear winner.

Soldato
OP
To be fair, my AiO is pretty quiet since I swapped the fans out and dialled them down. Of course, it doesn't run as cool as it does at its stock configuration either... :rolleyes:

On the whole, it wasn't the best investment, but it's kept the heat of my 2500k away from the GPU at least :)

Associate
Well I've just bought a Kraken X62 to use on my 1080ti with a G12 bracket, Hopefully all stays good for a while, Seems people has had some for ages, Will keep using my air cooler for CPU though.

Soldato
cut it open and see how the liquid is looking. Specially with the mixture of Alumin and copper materials , no matter what liquid is inside it isn't going to stop the end result .

*Would love to Rad shot one one of these or UT test it - Work for Corrosion integrity company *

Back
Top Bottom