Air cooled, carbureted, shaft driven bike. And other post apocalyptic problems.

Caporegime
So keeping in mind our certain impending doom at the hands of nibru, aliens, zombies.

What do you think would be the best qualities in a post apocalyptic survival machine?

I'm thinking simplicity over all hence carbs, and aircooling so electrical system could be essentially non existent/fail proof. And shaft drive purely for corrosiion/replacement chains sake.

I'm also thinking low CC to help make it more manouverable in the poor road conditions and wrecked cars every where.

*this may more may not be actually related to deciding a decent winter hack* :p

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Air cooled twin with SOHC, pushrod so no cam chains to worry about, tappet valve adjustment so no bucket 'n' shim to stress over, not sure about the shaft drive tho as it's extra weight & complexity when ideally you want to be going in the opposite direction in that respect, basically an old brit, the kinda thing that can be fixed with at the side of the road with a handful of spanners.

Soldato
Not a shaft drive because once that shaft breaks you'll have no way of fixing it. If a chain breaks you can take another one off another bike.

You'd want something light, so not an adventure bike. You'd want something that can be dropped and not have any significant damage. Something that can be jumped off and on easily to escape from the hordes of zombies. You don't want to be tip toeing on a beast of a bike.

I'm thinking something like an old Scrambler/Bonneville based bike. It's got a reliable twin, no ABS or electronic crap, it's small, the seat height is low. Only downside is that it's relatively heavy and the suspension isn't great. Everything on the bike is easily fixed and accessible.

Failing that, maybe some sort of old school supermoto.

Soldato
As I'm in the middle of reading Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon I'd suggest a Triumph Tiger 100 as he seems to be able to fix anything at the roadside pretty much and is capable of carrying supplies, a sword and an umbrella (swap that for a shotgun?). :p
As for winter hack, something cheap.

Soldato
B1200 in the style of daryls cb750 is probably what I would aim for :p. Indestructible engine, oil cooled and carb fed.

Needs enough power so you can wheelie past all the zombies while holding your middle finger up :D.

Soldato
An old Ural with the sidecar. Two wheel drive to get out of slippery situations, and loads of storage for your weapons, food etc. Billy basic engine, servicing possible with either metric or imperial hammer.

Ural%20Cross%201.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I’m guessing due to emissions? They are truly bulletproof.

Yeah hasn't meet emisions regulations since something like 2012 lol.

I was really tempted to get one a few years back but finding a decent one was too much hassle.

Seems most owners belive klr stands for keep loctite ready :p

Back
Top Bottom