Air cooler adequate for a 7800X3D

Soldato
Not done a build for a very long time so asking about almost every step as I go. I've pretty much settled on a the 7800X3D as my CPU and am leaning towards a DeepCool AK620 for cooling. I have no plans to overclock and will probably be having a play to get the temps down to the absolute minimum once I'm up and running. As I understand it, the stock setup with AMD CPU's is they simply drive up to the 95deg limit. So a bigger cooler just means they drive harder? I assume you can limit the max temp somewhere so the fans are not constantly maxed out. I want them all but silent if I can use settings to do it??

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,408.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£420 (incl. VAT)
£330 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£120 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£270 (incl. VAT)
£165 (incl. VAT)
£630 (incl. VAT)
£570 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£65 (incl. VAT)
£59 (incl. VAT)
Last edited:
Cheers. Yeah I may well go with a std 4070 re-graphics card. Choice was a little sparse when I picked some of the parts a while back. I'll probably stick with the Samsung SSD. I tried to pick stuff that was from the approved vendors list for my mobo. (Not sure it really matters but that's my reasoning.) I looked at the Arctic freezer and the Deepcool AK400. However picked the AK620 in the end as it appeared to do very well in a fair number of reviews, even though another £25 or so. I've switched out the fans to non rgb version.

I'll mull it over some more this evening and probably order in the morning.

Sanity check.
I do realise that some of the picks are possibly not the sweet spot/cheapest. For peace of mind I've stuck to approved vendor list as much as possible. I could have shaved another £40-50 on the GPU but just stuck with the devil I know in ASUS vs MSI (Probably a little foolish in the face of recent ASUS customer support issues. That and the ASUS card is all black and dull as dishwater, which I like.) Anything stand out stupid or foolish?
It's hopefully all squashing into Lian-Li, A3-mATX

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,360.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

You only have 2x M.2 slots on the board, so doesn't seem wise to fill both of them. I'd just get a single 2TB drive, which is usually better value anyway.

I know I advised you to switch, but that was because the 4070 I suggested is only £450. I wouldn't pay that much for a non-Super. The MSI Ventus is available in black/silver for £470 if you don't like the white one.

Not trying to be awkward, there are just so many cards around the £400-£600 range and it makes assessing their value pretty difficult, because £50 is enough to move something from decent to poor.

If you got a SN770 2TB instead of the SN850X and downgraded the cooler to a freezer 36 that would make room for a 4070 Super.
Not awkward at all bud, all good :)

And you're spot on, in the £400-£600 price bracket it's littered with cards that are all but identical but cover the whole price range. I veered away from the MSI Ventus because I vaguely remember something about reliability issues. Having just had a quick Google. I think rather than hardware reliability it was the factory settings for the OC. So just the usual finessing hole we dive down.

Re- the 2X 1TB M.2 Drives vs a single 2TB drive. What's the reasoning behind that? Am I missing a trick, or is it just more cost effective?

He he I've missed my cut off for a Saturday delivery now so have all weekend to keep going round the wheel some more..:cry::cry: Doh..

Back
Top Bottom