Air cooler on a Ryzen 1800x

Associate
Hey guys

I'm currently running an ID cooling 280 aio, it works perfectly well but can be quite noisey, and reading up on things like pump failures and leaks has made me want to go back to air.

The issue I have is I would like a cooler that doesn't obstruct the view of my rgb ram, I have all the slots filled so not really sure which cooler to get.

My case is a coolermaster h500 with the mesh front panel, motherboard is a x470f gaming.

I would like the cooler to be able to handle decent overclocks, nothing extreme but would like it to stay quiet.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Does your case have the 200mm Megaflow fans? If so, they are not much good. While they have a unrestricted airflow rate of 110cfm, their static pressure rating is only 0.595mm H2O which is very low .. so low it can't overcome the resistance of grill and filter very well if at all. All of my builds have fans rated 1.3+mm H2O @ 1300rpm .. more is even better because higher static pressure rating means fan can overcome case grill and filter resistance better at lower speeds .. meaning they move more air through case at lower speeds.

The guide in below link might help you understand airflow and how to setup a case to have good airflow.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Below link is to about how static pressure relates to airflow.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22644574-post11.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, my case just has the default fans on it that it came with, I've looked for other 200mm fans but getting some rgb ones is nearly impossible for some reason, I guess I could put 3 smaller fans on the front.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies, my case just has the default fans on it that it came with, I've looked for other 200mm fans but getting some rgb ones is nearly impossible for some reason, I guess I could put 3 smaller fans on the front.
Which H500 is yours? There are 5 that I know of including H500, H500H, H500P and H500M. Maybe with the mesh front and removing allPCIe back slot covers to improve rear vent area around GPU case's 200mm fans can move enough air, I don't know. I've never seen the front fan mounting panel without 200mm fans mounted on it, but specs say it supports 3x 120mm / 140mm fans. I'm pretty sure 3x good 140mm front fans will move more air than the 2x 200mm fans it has now. 3x 140mm fans would be about 210-230cfm free airflow / unrestricted airflow and have a static pressure rating 1.3-1.5mm H2O so would overcome gril, filter, etc. airflow resistance many times better then the 0.595mm H2O your 200mm fans are rated at. If you can't afford the prices most good fans have, Arctic F14 series are good, and their new Arctic P14 has much higher pressure rating and lookd to be even better. While I have not yet tested/used them I think they would work very well as intake fans in your case (no pun).

Associate
OP
It is a H500p, but I replaced the plastic front panel with the mesh one.

Looking at cpu fans I think the Cryorig h5 universal might just be what I'm looking for, from what I can gather it won't cover any of the dimm slots

Soldato
Cryorig H5 and R1 Universal clear RAM in front of CPU socket.

There are others that either are thin enough or set back enough to clear RAM, but without knowing what motherboard you have I can't suggest any and be sure they will clear .. That said, Mugen 5 should clear, and Thermalright Macho Rev. B too.

Soldato
Motherboard is an Asus rog x470f gaming, ram is corsair vengeance pro rgb 3200.

Budget is around £100 if that's of any help

Thanks for taking the time to reply too

Asus Rog Strix X470F Gaming has 83mm center CPU to near side of nearest x16 PCIe socket and 50mm to near side of RAM socket. THis is the closest RAM socket to CPU I've seen with most being about 53mm.

Your Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM is about 51mm tall, which is some of the tallest that exist.

The 50mm CPU to RAM clearance combined with such tall RAM limits what coolers will fit. Even NH-U14S is 50mm center to front of fan. Cryorig R1 Universal is 48.5mm center CPU to front of fan and H5 is 44.5mm. NH-D15S will fit, but fins will be over RAM. Phanteks PH-TC14PE will fit over RAM with only center fan like NH-D15S and is much lower priced at £52.99 and will cool better than H5. I can't think of any other coolers that will clear with a front fan.

Associate
Hey guys

I'm currently running an ID cooling 280 aio, it works perfectly well but can be quite noisey, and reading up on things like pump failures and leaks has made me want to go back to air.

Thanks

I've got one of those - swap the fans. I changed mine to phantek's PH-140m which made for a really quiet system. Currently using cryorig QF-140 performance fans. the unit handles an r7 1700 or R5 2600 overclock with ease.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-qf140-performance-pwm-600-1850rpm-fan-140mm-fg-001-cy.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom