AIR FRYER VS HALOGEN AIR FRYER

Soldato
Hi guys Im looking for some help, Could some one tell me the different between and which would be better?

I'm looking for a healthy way to cook food and was looking for a good option, air fryers seam to be good but I cant tell the difference between the air fryer and Halogen air fryer, the halogen models have a lot more room and look like they can cook more but im not sure which to get, I had a old halogen oven 10+ years ago which i used for baked chicken which always came out good but i never tried anything else.

I like my fired food (chips, wedges, chicken, fish, spring rolls ext) So im looking into the air fryers to try and cut some fat intake.

the problem is I had the tefal actifry when it cam out and other then chip which i did not like everything kept breaking into bit and was a waste of money, so it only got a little use and went back to traditional.

Does anyone have any helpful information which could help me choose.

Caporegime
Not sure about the halogen ones, but I have this Phillips one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD...d=1521680415&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+airfryer

Igot it on a very good deal though for around £90. I was sceptical at first but it’s brilliant. When I do chips in it, I use a brush to wipe a little bit of oil over the chips before cooking. They come out lovely. So many things you can do in it as well. Chips, wedges, sausages, breaded or battered fish, breaded chicken. Basically, anything you can oven cook can be done in this. It can cook sausage and chips in around 10 mins, so it’s very fast as well. Definitely a worthwhile investment if you like that sort of grub. It has no moving parts either, so food doesn’t get broken up at all.

My one comes with a little metal shelf as well to separate foods, so stick your chips on the bottom and the your sausages or fish (whatever), on top.

Soldato
OP
Not sure about the halogen ones, but I have this Phillips one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD...d=1521680415&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+airfryer

Igot it on a very good deal though for around £90. I was sceptical at first but it’s brilliant. When I do chips in it, I use a brush to wipe a little bit of oil over the chips before cooking. They come out lovely. So many things you can do in it as well. Chips, wedges, sausages, breaded or battered fish, breaded chicken. Basically, anything you can oven cook can be done in this. It can cook sausage and chips in around 10 mins, so it’s very fast as well. Definitely a worthwhile investment if you like that sort of grub. It has no moving parts either, so food doesn’t get broken up at all.

My one comes with a little metal shelf as well to separate foods, so stick your chips on the bottom and the your sausages or fish (whatever), on top.
How to do the chips compare to fried one ? most people seam to just use frozen but I would want it for home made chips.
Have you tried fresh chicken, meat or fish, pasterys like samosas or spring rolls ?
Can you make a pizza, roast chicken or is it too small,

Sorry about the questions but I dont want to jump in this time after spending £190 on the tefal.

tnx

tnx

Associate
I do "real chips" in my air fryer.

Peel the spuds, chip them. Wash them, DRY them A LOT. Sling them in the air fryer along with the stated measured amount of oil. I use coconut oil in a lot of my cooking and the chips come out perfect ! Enough for four takes about 45 to 50 mins or so.

Soldato
I got an air fryer a few weeks ago, and tried a few times to make homemade chips but couldn't get it right.
I tried cutting/drying and putting them in, they take ages to cook (~45 mins as above), and the outside was getting cooked but some of the chips were still a bit raw/hard on the inside. I tried thin fries as well but still the same.
I've also tried cutting/par boiling/drying and putting them in, which cuts the time to cook down, but some still ends up being undercooked.
The cooked ones do taste good, although they never got crispy.

I then tried frozen chips in the air fryer, and 25 minutes later, tasty crispy chips! Guess I'm going to stick to frozen chips!

tnx

tnx

Associate
Just like to add my air fryer is the type which has the lift up top and inside it has a paddle which rotates. This makes sure the chips ( or other food ) is always moving and getting evenly cooked.
Yep, also cook frozen chips. My fav are "Aviko Gluten Free Supercrunch". Only seen these on the Ocado site. A good bowl full takes around 25 to 30 mins. They are simply gorgeous !

Caporegime
Just like to add my air fryer is the type which has the lift up top and inside it has a paddle which rotates. This makes sure the chips ( or other food ) is always moving and getting evenly cooked.
Yep, also cook frozen chips. My fav are "Aviko Gluten Free Supercrunch". Only seen these on the Ocado site. A good bowl full takes around 25 to 30 mins. They are simply gorgeous !
That’s so long. My Phillips air fryer does crinkle cut chips to perfection in 9-10 minutes.

tnx

tnx

Associate
Just ordered myself a new air fryer. Mine is old. Getting the "Power Air Fryer XL"... Looks a whole lot better than mine.

Chips in old one and chicken in the new one..Yummy !!!!

Caporegime
45m? Is that a normal time for an air fryer?

I've got the large air fryer. the one that retails for around £170.

does chips for 4 inside 8 minutes and that's from frozen.

i've seen all the different kinds but the air fryer is the best. i make all sorts in it. pakora, pies, chicken, as long as it isn't going to drip loads of grease and your fine.

tnx

tnx

Associate
Had my new air fryer "Power Air Fryer XL" a little while now. Beats the pants off my old one, Tefal Actifry.

I tested frozen chips, enough for one took under ten mins and I have done real chips, enough for five of us, took roughly just under twenty mins.

Cooked all sorts. Scampi, a whole bag in 8 mins and they were the best i have ever had. Frozen white fish took only ten mins and came out just how I like it.
Chicken breasts come out perfect. Even simple things like fish fingers or chicken goujons cook really quickly and taste better.

Just had some streaky smoked bacon this morning done in the air fryer.....8 mins,,,, CRISPY !!!! exactly how I like it...

This thing is great. Might even buy the bigger 5 ltr one as well.

I fancy trying to roast a whole, small chicken. I have a rotisserie oven I use which cooks prefect chickens.
Think I may try a little cake...

Soldato
45 mins with frozen oil coated chips, why when u might as well put em on a baking tray and cook for 20 mins. If it can cook freshly made chips with tiny bit of oil then great if not why bother.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Tehse stories of the best part of an hour for chips, are you using really low temps?
It was my main concern when we were looking, wouldn't go back now.

20 mins seems to be about the right time for both fresh and frozen chips in my phillips actifry lol.
Frozen Daloon spring rolls from it are awesome

Chop up tatties, sit in water for a bit, dry them then whack them into the fryer.
I use the 1cal spray and just spray the chips and jumble them about a few times during cooking

Caporegime
Tehse stories of the best part of an hour for chips, are you using really low temps?
It was my main concern when we were looking, wouldn't go back now.

20 mins seems to be about the right time for both fresh and frozen chips in my phillips actifry lol.
Frozen Daloon spring rolls from it are awesome

Chop up tatties, sit in water for a bit, dry them then whack them into the fryer.
I use the 1cal spray and just spray the chips and jumble them about a few times during cooking

i use phillips airfryer and stick it on 200C for everything.

fries take 8 minutes enough for 2-3. if you want enough for 4-5 then maybe 10-12 minutes.

stories of 45 mins to an hour. i'm wondering if they have it plugged in.

i have the large one though costs like 180 quid or something. maybe they using cheap crap?

Philips HD9240/90 Avance Collection Airfryer, 2100 W - Extra-Large

Back
Top Bottom