Airbrush

Soldato
I haven't had much luck with cheap Chinese airbrushes. I've found them very fiddly to use and generally not worth the effort. Other people I know have no such issues and swear by them. Your mileage may vary.

My current setup is an Iwata Eclipse CS and a Badger Sotar 2020 with an Iwata Smart Jet Pro compressor. I think I marginally prefer the Badger airbrush. The Iwata is build like a tank but the Badger is easier to clean and maintain.

Getting a 'proper' setup is a huge initial investment, especially if you also buy the special airbrush paints. It's an investment that I'm glad I made though. The airbrush saves me so much time when painting.

Soldato
I have the 186 version of the compressor you linked too and I'm very happy with it but I am still a newbie to it all.

I would look into the AS186 as it has the tank which gives a more consistent pressure and it means your pump doesn't always need to be running when you are spraying.

the brushes that come with it are useable and I have had some good results but I plan to upgrade them as soon as I have the spare cash to an Iwata Neo (around £50) as it has very good reviews and is well regarded as the best starter airbrush

Commissario
As always I'd recommend one of the Harder & Steenbeck brushes :)
The Ultra is a relatively cheap (for a good brush) starter model which because it shares common parts with the rest of the H&S range is easy to get spare needles etc for*.

A small compressor with a tank is a must, as it gives much better results than an untanked compressor, and completely forget about using canned air you'd be better off burning tenners as the canned air is extremely expensive, gives no real control over the pressure and will vary in pressure as used.

*You can also swap the nozzle, needle and paint cup out for larger/smaller ones which means that you can use it for both smaller models and things like tanks (they sell a version as the "2 in 1" which comes with a second needle set).

Soldato
I will agree with Werewolf. Harder & Steenbeck are absolutely superb. I have an Infinity CR Plus and I do not change if for the world.

Also when you buy compressor make sure it has a tank, water trap and pressure regulator.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks everyone, I'll be getting an airbrush separately, so thanks for the heads up regards the Harder and Steenbeck :).

I'm thinking about getting the 186, the one GTanny linked, as this would only be used to paint a single army.

Soldato
Thanks everyone, I'll be getting an airbrush separately, so thanks for the heads up regards the Harder and Steenbeck :).

I'm thinking about getting the 186, the one GTanny linked, as this would only be used to paint a single army.

The one I linked too comes with airbrushes included, one of the guides I saw said shove them on eBay as even if you only get £5 for them its payment towards a better brush.

I have used one of them (the gravity fed one) to get used to it but the other I will end up selling.

Caporegime
OP
I want a gravity fed airbrush, so I'll be getting one of those.

Ha, seriously Werewolf! I'll be using it for an Ultramarines force, might get a chaos force in the future but meh. I like my SpaceMarines :).

Back
Top Bottom