AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Commissario
I went for a long walk (six miles, one hour 35 minutes) this morning and I was on a phone call for the entire walk, with those Spigon things attached. It worked really well, didn't need to adjust them once. The received call quality was good and he said he could only occasionally hear some background noise. When I finished the call I checked the battery and the airpods were reporting 10% remaining. They claim up to two hours talk time on 50% volume - I had the volume set much higher than that.

Soldato
:D

I wrote a whole long post about how it could have had a zip or buttons or something but no, I can't argue with that. Good point, well made.

Haha! I was worrying my jumper knowledge would fail me and you'd point out that they also had zippers or buttons!

I may just accept I wont get them for ages and buy directly from Appl. But if I do that I just know they'll be in stock somewhere local

Soldato
I ordered some AirPods about four weeks ago and they finally turned up the other day. Conclusion: they solve all of the problems traditionally associated with Bluetooth earphones but none of the problems associated with Apple headphones. :(

Simple set-up? Check. Connection issues? Zero. Charging solution? Super neat. Pausing music when you take an earbud out? Great!

However, they just don't stay in my ear properly for more than a couple of seconds. As soon as that perfect seal between the AirPod and my ear is broken, ambient noise floods in (and, I assume, my music floods out). They're utterly useless in any environment where I'm need headphones - i.e. commuting and at work.

It's such a shame. If Apple used foam or even rubber tips instead of glossy plastic, the AirPods would be the perfect earphones for me.

So, I've sent them back. I'm now hoping that Beats will make some suspiciously similar earphones in the near future with rubber or foam tips.

Soldato
It's such a shame. If Apple used foam or even rubber tips instead of glossy plastic, the AirPods would be the perfect earphones for me.

So, I've sent them back. I'm now hoping that Beats will make some suspiciously similar earphones in the near future with rubber or foam tips.

There already out, called BeatsX.

Same internals as the Airpods, more traditional in ear design with in line controls. The sound is much more balanced than your normal beats.

Soldato
I ordered some AirPods about four weeks ago and they finally turned up the other day. Conclusion: they solve all of the problems traditionally associated with Bluetooth earphones but none of the problems associated with Apple headphones. :(

Simple set-up? Check. Connection issues? Zero. Charging solution? Super neat. Pausing music when you take an earbud out? Great!

However, they just don't stay in my ear properly for more than a couple of seconds. As soon as that perfect seal between the AirPod and my ear is broken, ambient noise floods in (and, I assume, my music floods out). They're utterly useless in any environment where I'm need headphones - i.e. commuting and at work.

You should have bought those Spigen TEKA things I posted about on the previous page!

Soldato
There already out, called BeatsX.

Same internals as the Airpods, more traditional in ear design with in line controls. The sound is much more balanced than your normal beats.

I'm tempted by the BeatsX but there's still a wire hanging between the two earbuds and it doesn't have the same charging solution.

Associate
Just to point out, I don't use these headphones 'sealed' in my ears. I don't want them too either. I can hear the outside world if I don't have the volume at max.

I prefer it this way, since i can't feel the AirPods it seems as if music/podcasts are just part of the environment. Very seamless and keeps my situational awareness up.

Soldato
I've used mine a lot in bed watching videos played through VLC on my MacBook with no noticeable lag.

Do you have an iPhone 7 on iOS 10.3.x you can test it on, if you wouldn't mind? I had it happen with cheaper £20 bluetooth headphones but thought that was just down to them being rubbish.

Soldato
I've tried it on iPhone 6s and it works fine, can't imagine it being any different.

Odd. I definitely get audio lag when watching YouTube or Netflix. I test SkyGo and Amazon in a minute

edit: Tested it with Prime and I'm definitely getting audio lag. It's not massively out but out enough that it bothers me.

Soldato
I've lost my charging case :(

I think it's in my flat somewhere....maybe...I guess this means it's time for a deep spring clean before I have to fork out £65 for a replacement case....sigh....

I went back to using my wired lightning headphones this week because I couldn't find the case. It was awful, I'm so used to being wire free now, I've been spoilt by the airpods. No going back now.

Lesson to take away from my mistake: ALWAYS put the airpods straight back into the case when you're done instead of just leaving them on their own somewhere.

Soldato
Yep, I've been sucked in. I use my headphones from anywhere to 30mins to 5+ hours a day and I started using them more than usual once I went wireless as it was so convenient.

Commissario
Very true, I've not used any of my other earphones/buds since getting the Airpods.

The Spigen things are really good but I've just pre-ordered these as well. Including postage they were less than $14.

Back
Top Bottom