Akasa AK-FN057 Apache Super Silent 120mm Fan - 4 Pin PWM

Associate
Word of warning, these wont run at 7v. I modded a 12v molex to 7v and the fans couldnt start...

If you need to reduce the speed I guess the only option is the PWM plug or a fan controller.

Associate
I jsut replaced a pair of scythes (one kama, one something esle which goes at 1200rpm but I've fogotten the name :rolleyes:) as the Kama had started ticking, and I wanted two PWM fans to allow more control (using a splitter from the mobo CPU fan header)

They seem pretty good, my feeling is that they're moving more air at the same speeds, and certainly a lot more at full whack (noisyer too though). My mobo only allows me to go down to 30% speed, but they work perfectly well at that.

I think they're a bit quieter than the scythes, and all the components are running a few degrees cooler, which suggests there is more air going through. There's a slightly different sound which might be from the bearing, but no clicking, and starting to go crazy from listening too much!

Associate
yeah.... even though they seem a similar volume to my amber, they just err... 'feel' quieter. Different type of noice i guess, one that blends into the background much better. at least my background. :)

Associate
I woke up the other morning and got confused as to why my G5 mouse lights were on.... Im sure it only gets power when the PC is on? Then I remembered I fell asleep listening to music and caught the flicker of the HDD read light and realised pc was still on. Couldn't hear a thing. Pretty happy with my system at the moment! :D

Associate
don't tell me that, I'd rather think that a totally silent PC is impossible!

The trouble I've got is that there is a vague sound of air flowing through the machine which I can't put down to anyone component, maybe I need a new case.......

Associate
I have a p182, which helps :)

I also sleep with the window open, so just the sound from rustling tree leaves and hum of distant roads is enough to mask the PC. But as said, the pc is there, it just blends in nicely.

This is going to change when I stick my GTX260 back in today though, currently im using a friends 8800gt with the thermalright cooler and a silent 92mm fan. I know the 260 is pretty quiet but its gonna be by far the loudest thing in there now. Looking at the arctic cooler for it if i cant live with the fan noise.

Back
Top Bottom