AKG K702

Soldato
Thinking about buying these but I'm not really up on the audio side of things. Would the X570 Aorus Master motherboard be able to drive them or would I have to buy an amp? If so what would I need?

Soldato
K702 is somewhat current and power hungry, but integrated of that motherboard would likely be enough.
Though for gaming that mobo seems to lack any kind binaural sound simulation.
Standard speaker stereo mix sucks for immersion with headphones:
You'll just have sounds accurately positioned inside left or right ear, or in center of the head:
https://youtu.be/Y6ROujJ8Ae8?t=50s

Lack of HRTF algorithm is actually common drawback of many integrated sound cards.
Mobo mkers hype all expensive audio fashion words, but lack feature needed for headphone gaming.
One of the reasons why I don't see sense in paying any super high motherboard prices for supposedly better soundcards and such.
You can't even use that integrated longer than you use mobo.

Especially Creative sound cards have good HRTF.
Though Creative has customizable HRTF using Super X-Fi finally coming to sound cards in Q3 in that "project accent":
https://us.creative.com/upgrade/
Such shame Microsoft killed DirectSound.
Sound card using customized HRTF to calculate sound for headphones from original 3D audio data of game with true sound source locations would be best for immersion.

Soldato
OP
K702 is somewhat current and power hungry, but integrated of that motherboard would likely be enough.
Though for gaming that mobo seems to lack any kind binaural sound simulation.
Standard speaker stereo mix sucks for immersion with headphones:
You'll just have sounds accurately positioned inside left or right ear, or in center of the head:
https://youtu.be/Y6ROujJ8Ae8?t=50s

Lack of HRTF algorithm is actually common drawback of many integrated sound cards.
Mobo mkers hype all expensive audio fashion words, but lack feature needed for headphone gaming.
One of the reasons why I don't see sense in paying any super high motherboard prices for supposedly better soundcards and such.
You can't even use that integrated longer than you use mobo.

Especially Creative sound cards have good HRTF.
Though Creative has customizable HRTF using Super X-Fi finally coming to sound cards in Q3 in that "project accent":
https://us.creative.com/upgrade/
Such shame Microsoft killed DirectSound.
Sound card using customized HRTF to calculate sound for headphones from original 3D audio data of game with true sound source locations would be best for immersion.

Ok thanks, so what you're saying is I could really do with a decent soundcard for positional sound? If the onboard is decent for stereo I can always run some speakers off it for when I'm not using headphones.

I tend to see onboard sound as an extra. I usually buy for 5+ years life so look for good build quality and features that will future proof me as much as I'd possible. Expensive motherboard but should easily cope with anything I throw at it and still be good enough in 5 years I hope.

Anyone got any experience of K702 Vs K712?

Soldato
In regards to 712 vs 702, yes I made that move. Prefer the 712's. The 702's have a wider soundstage, but the 712's still have a fairly wide soundstage. The 712's has slight elevation in db on the low end (apparently +3 according to my packaging), does not by any mean make it bass heavy, its still tight and controlled, but its got a bit more then the 702's and overall feel like warmer headphones. Overall you lose the absolute analytical element you get with the 702's that help you hear details like footsteps in games more clearly, hence why some think of them akin to wallhack's, but in turn you get what I consider more "fun" headphones IMO and do not mind that slight loss in analytics. Oh and the 712's ear pads are on another level, are amazing memory foam.

Soldato
Ok thanks, so what you're saying is I could really do with a decent soundcard for positional sound? If the onboard is decent for stereo I can always run some speakers off it for when I'm not using headphones.

Challenge of having headphones and speakers connected to different audio device is in having to manually switch output device through sound playback control panel.
Lots of software uses automatically what is chosen as default in there, without even having own setting for that.
So it could be very hard to change output for some software without changing default playback device of Windows affecting every software.
Again if you manually set software to output to one device, then you can't get all software to change their output through that one Windows setting.

Most sound cards have different outputs for headphones and speakers.
Meaning as far as Windows or software is concerned audio playback device they use stays same and output is changed from control software of sound card.
Again playing different sounds simultaneously from headphone and speaker outputs isn't possible in most sound cards.

I have both K702 and K712.
If you want best details, like footsteps and such for competitive gaming, K702 is one of the absolute top choises.
Again for casual/fun gaming its neutral bass stays on back seat without punching much unless really asked by the signal.
Though it goes respectably low for open dynamic driver headphone.
(you just have to listen for it)

K712 has some above neutral punch in bass, improving "fun factor" good amount. (nice also for movies)
Cost of that is that stronger bass makes it notch harder to distinguish simultaneous footsteps and such from bass rumble.
Also replacement ear pad price is ludicrous... As in you can basically get whole K702 for the price of pair of pads!

Agree about needing motherboard have good quality of those parts which can get stressed during use when not changing parts every year or two.
Though in case of X570 there doesn't seem to be much worries about having VRMs stressed with CPUs at default settings:
Myself also eyeing upgrading from Haswell to possibly 3900X and getting good VRM motherboard but without fashion extras and such would go long way for funding difference between 8 cores and it.

Associate

I tend to see onboard sound as an extra. I usually buy for 5+ years life so look for good build quality and features that will future proof me as much as I'd possible. Expensive motherboard but should easily cope with anything I throw at it and still be good enough in 5 years I hope.

Didnt like the K712 at all. They are darker/warmer. Not as large soundstage which is something I love from the 702. I could see others liking them more with music but there's better picks out there if you like that sort of sound signature.

Soldato
K702 owner here also.

I find them brilliant for gaming for the reasons given, they are extremely (pinching the phrase) analytical. Have helped me identify enemies a lot recently. I don't listen to a lot of music through them but what I do listen to I find pleasant enough but lacking at the lower end but I rarely listen to music with headphones on so it isn't really a concern (for me as I have a set of 2.0's that do have low end).

Soldato
OP
K702 owner here also.

I find them brilliant for gaming for the reasons given, they are extremely (pinching the phrase) analytical. Have helped me identify enemies a lot recently. I don't listen to a lot of music through them but what I do listen to I find pleasant enough but lacking at the lower end but I rarely listen to music with headphones on so it isn't really a concern (for me as I have a set of 2.0's that do have low end).

I got mine today, just as you describe. I can see they will be very good for gaming. Seem to work well for music that isn't bass heavy. Very impressive for the money, can't see the Corsair ones getting used again!

Surprised that the Aorus Master seems to drive them fine. Got an amp coming to test them with too so will be interesting to see if I see any difference.

Soldato
OP
The decisiveness is both a blessing and a curse. Good news the board drives them though, hopefully the amp will stretch their legs a bit. Which amp if you don't mind my asking?

Just spotted a cheap tube amp on a very large etailer I wanted to try that sounded like it might warm things up for music. Sabaj PHA3. It may be rubbish but I'm no audiophile :) I may see if I can pick up a fiio e10k cheap second hand and try that too.

Soldato
Just spotted a cheap tube amp on a very large etailer I wanted to try that sounded like it might warm things up for music. Sabaj PHA3. It may be rubbish but I'm no audiophile :) I may see if I can pick up a fiio e10k cheap second hand and try that too.

Ive not long had that amp, i wouldn't say it makes any real difference to the sound but it drives my 712 and hd595's very well and looks cool :D

One plus (for me!) is the line out at the front is directly connected to the Line in which means you can have your speakers plugged in without any need for software swapping.

Soldato
OP
Ive not long had that amp, i wouldn't say it makes any real difference to the sound but it drives my 712 and hd595's very well and looks cool :D

One plus (for me!) is the line out at the front is directly connected to the Line in which means you can have your speakers plugged in without any need for software swapping.

I'll try it out later. As I understand it the 712's already have a warmer sound and more bass. The 702's being a bit more clinical. I'll report back later on the difference if any. As you say there's also the cost cool factor :cool:

Soldato
Fidelio X2HR up for half price today only, sure you can find them. Easy to drive, decent soundstage and my recommendation for an all rounder after the K712, but you won't have to buy an amp.

Soldato
OP
Fidelio X2HR up for half price today only, sure you can find them. Easy to drive, decent soundstage and my recommendation for an all rounder after the K712, but you won't have to buy an amp.

They look very good. If I hadn't just spent about £900 if be tempted. Got to save a few quid to pick up an AIB 5700XT when they release.

Soldato
I'll try it out later. As I understand it the 712's already have a warmer sound and more bass. The 702's being a bit more clinical. I'll report back later on the difference if any. As you say there's also the cost cool factor :cool:

The HD595 i have are very clinical and i cant say the amp really altered them, like yourself im no audiophile. At a push i'd say it added the slightest hint of bass but that could just be me hearing things! However i do have some Mullard valves coming (fool and money yada yada :D), if your interested i'll share my thoughts when i get a chance to test them out.

Soldato
OP
The HD595 i have are very clinical and i cant say the amp really altered them, like yourself im no audiophile. At a push i'd say it added the slightest hint of bass but that could just be me hearing things! However i do have some Mullard valves coming (fool and money yada yada :D), if your interested i'll share my thoughts when i get a chance to test them out.

Yes I'd be very interested to see how you get on. It could either save me money or cost me!

Soldato
I've finally had chance to give them a go! :D
Thoughts! they are smaller than stock and they look better built internally. im not sure on the NOS claim, ive seen tubes from the 60's and the boxes tend to have a more waxy feel and i'd have expected the glue to be more brittle. Else i couldn't care less about it being NOS or not but i know people buy into that. These are ebay specials so who knows!

Now is there a difference? this is really questionable and im not sure i've been swayed by other peoples thoughts or not. But i'll go along and say they do seem to have softened the sound somewhat. I'd say the stock tubes give a more precise sound and these are more mellow in comparison.
However i prefer the stock ones with my hd595's, and Mullard with the K712's headphones. I'd have thought it would be the other way round considering i feel the hd595' are on the clinical side :o
I cant say if its better or worse other than just slightly different.

Soldato
OP
I've finally had chance to give them a go! :D
Thoughts! they are smaller than stock and they look better built internally. im not sure on the NOS claim, ive seen tubes from the 60's and the boxes tend to have a more waxy feel and i'd have expected the glue to be more brittle. Else i couldn't care less about it being NOS or not but i know people buy into that. These are ebay specials so who knows!

Now is there a difference? this is really questionable and im not sure i've been swayed by other peoples thoughts or not. But i'll go along and say they do seem to have softened the sound somewhat. I'd say the stock tubes give a more precise sound and these are more mellow in comparison.
However i prefer the stock ones with my hd595's, and Mullard with the K712's headphones. I'd have thought it would be the other way round considering i feel the hd595' are on the clinical side :o
I cant say if its better or worse other than just slightly different.

Interesting, this audio stuff is very tricky being subjective. I'll definitely be buying some more headphones for music but I do think the K702's will work well for gaming. Not as much noise leakage as I expected, I presume others are much more sensitive to sound than I am!

Associate
Going to tag onto the end of this discussion as my ancient (10 year plus) Sennheiser PC99, I think they are, headphones are falling to bits, so after something new and these K702s look good for my needs. So firstly a bit of info on current setup.

I have aurus B450 board with just onboard sound currently for headphones - concern is that even on max volume it’s a bit quiet in games....

Headphones generally only used for online / multiplayer etc, I have Logitech G560 (direct usb connection so to via MB sound) for single player etc. PC in study so noise not really an issue.

Mic is separate / standalone.

So ....

For K702 (seems best option purely FPS etc?) what else do I need (sound card/dac/ amp etc) and what are best not stupid cost options to improve sound quality and volume (seen comments hey can be quiet without amp?) over motherboard inbuilt sound. And also to make it easy to switch between the 2 - ie currently I just unplug headphones from jack at front when not in use to make it wife friendly for her for defaulting to speakers.

Or reading other posts in parallel to sending this dt990 with an E10k amp run from onboard sound still, but guess that would lose soundcard clever sound positioning as well as overall improved sound fidelity?

Basically I’m completely in the dark on sound side of things for PC so any / all help appreciated to un-muddle things!

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom