Alabama outlaws abortion . . .

Capodecina
Soldato
25 white male Republicans vote to ban abortion in Alabama, even following rape or if the pregnancy results from an incestuous "relationship" (LINK).

A common justification for prohibiting incest is avoiding inbreeding. Inbreeding can lead to insanity.

It is not clear whether any of the 25 white Republican males are sane.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Abortions shouldn't be necessary in a modern society (medical complications aside), birth control is effectively free, . . .
The rape/incest angle is always argued in cases of abortion, it's a fallacy to use this absolute minority of cases and apply it all abortions performed. . . .
So . . . let's just ignore that "minority of cases" then, right?

"Modern society"?

"Birth control is effectively free"?

WHAT?

Are you serious?

It really is time we abolished the House of Lords.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Alabama is basically in the bible belt so the only surprise here is they ever supported abortion in the first place?. . .
Wikipedia said:
Roe v. Wade was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion. It also ruled that this "right to privacy" is not absolute and must be balanced against the government's interests in protecting women's health and protecting prenatal life. The Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the three trimesters of pregnancy: the Court ruled that during the first trimester, governments could not prohibit abortions at all.
As I understand it, it was not Alabama that "allowed" abortion; it is however, 25 white, male Republicans who have now banned it.
Clearly, US States can choose to ignore Federal Law :confused:

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm not defending them, I just don't think they should be demonised. I also totally disagree with the women and (lol) men who are turning it into a male vs female thing, and some how the OP even threw in the race card for some reason
On the evidence available it seems that this legislation is largely a "male vs female thing" with additional conservative fundamentalist religious overtones.

As to your assertion that I "threw in the race card", perhaps you didn't have time to read the linked article? Maybe you should do so before posting further?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I think people who get assassins to do the job for them are considered to be equally complicit! ;)
"Assassins" . . . "Killing - unwanted - children" :rolleyes:
Emotive stuff there bud.
Doesn't suggest objectivity or rationality to me.

So . . . you have never actually had children then . . .
However, you do have a wealth of (3rd hand) experience on which to form an opinion.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Utterly insane!
The facts of the case are fairly straightforward and fairly common: Ryan Magers got his teenage then girlfriend pregnant. She didn’t want to be pregnant (according to her father, she didn’t even really want to have sex with Magers). She found out about the pregnancy early, and had an abortion at six weeks, over Magers’s objections. Magers was angry, and sued the Alabama Women’s Center for Reproductive Alternatives, the facility at which his ex ended her pregnancy. He also petitioned to represent the estate of “Baby Roe”, the six-week-old embryo, and probate judge Frank Barber granted his request. This enables Magers to sue both the clinic and the manufacturer of the pill his ex used to end her pregnancy on behalf of the embryo, and is the first time an embryo or a fetus has been legally recognized as a person.
The fundamentalist Christian Americans should be incarcerated on a desert island along with fundamentalists of other religions, supplied with WMD and allowed to work out their differences.

Back
Top Bottom