Alan Wake is Vista-exclusive

Soldato
Microsoft are NOT forcing you to upgrade. The reason it is Vista only is because it requires DirectX10. Which is Vista only as it required modification of code at a level not attainable without designing a whole new OS.

As has been stated above (and is pretty common sense), the game has the ability to run in DX9. It would be madness to make it DX10 only as i bet less than 10% of pc gamers actually own a dx10 card at the moment. I imagine it wouldnt take much work to make a copy for other operating systems that only contains the DX9 part, so yes MS are forcing us to buy vista as they did with halo2 and will do with crysis.

Its not a bad operating system, i've got a copy and have no complaints so no worries.

Caporegime
Tute said:
Right, lets just clear this up.

Microsoft are NOT forcing you to upgrade. The reason it is Vista only is because it requires DirectX10. Which is Vista only as it required modification of code at a level not attainable without designing a whole new OS.

Then again, you can always try these so called "Dx10 emulators" people are claiming to design. Enjoy your frame rate! :rolleyes:

Plus there's nothing wrong with Vista. I'd 100% recommend it to anyone.

Sorry, someone called this a balanced post?:D

Alan Wake could easily run in DX9 if they so chose and it would look 90% similar to the DX10 mode... the only reason they're not is because Microsoft will have paid them a large chunk of cash to compensate for the lack of possible sales from people who know that Vista is basically a complete waste of time in terms of evolution of an OS... it was 2 years late and 6 years to develop... puts it in perspective no?). Why do you think sales of it are slow and that many major builders have re-introduced XP as an option?

99% of people I know who love IT or work in the industry will not be upgrading to Vista for a good while yet and will be hugging their XP with fond and loving arms until the last possible second. For you to say there's "nothing wrong with Vista" shows that you had little idea what was right with XP, and wouldn't know what to look for in terms of negatives in Vista even if you tried.

I game a lot, have a DX10 card, but won't be buying Vista until I can no longer use XP, despite MS's completely unecessary and cynical tactic of making games "Vista only". When Vista is in a state where I can use it with the same ease I use XP then i'll upgrade, and not before. Besides, they're working on replacing it soon enough with Fiji/Vienna, maybe as soon as 2009.:)

Last edited:
Soldato
The vista operating system is perfectly fine in my opinion its just vendors havent spent the time to create good stable drivers for it, im using it on my Hp laptop and haven't had any problems as yet and ive been using it since release. By the time Alan Wake is released drivers will have matured to a stage that Vista will be a very worthwile operating system to use, however, i do agree that at the moment it hasnt reached that stage. I dual boot on my home PC and primarily use XP as the main OS but i know this will change in the coming months.

Soldato
It isnt, its both Dx9 and Dx10 and published by EA, i think somebody was insinuating that microsoft will somehow find a way to make it a vista exclusive...

Permabanned
Why cant people just accept it.

I would have thought that people would realise that times move on.

I remember the same whining when XP came out and people complaining about how 98 was better :rolleyes:

If companies dont start moving its gonna be a mess.

Vista isnt that bad. Keep the the times old farts

edit: better put a ;) in :D

Associate
Final8y said:
If the users pc is not happy running vista then they have no chance of running that game anyway.
Ooops! hearing it in stereo is better anyway.

Stereo? Isn't that the only option in Vista anyways? (considering they killed Directsound?)

:D

Caporegime
Surfer said:
:mad: jeez.... was looking forward to this as well.. dont really like this policy of microsoft of forcing ppl to upgrade their OS to play the game.
:/
They have always done it, otherwise we'd still be playing games under Windows 95/98.

Soldato
Surfer said:
:mad: jeez.... was looking forward to this as well.. dont really like this policy of microsoft of forcing ppl to upgrade their OS to play the game.

Microsoft is not forcing anyone to do anything. If you must blame someone, blame the game developers. The majority of them have tied themselves to Direct3D and are just hanging on for the ride. We need an OpenGL revival. :D

Back
Top Bottom