Alarm system?

Soldato
I'm looking to get an Ajax alarm for a business. I'm probably going to leave my old alarm in place also. I also have Hikvision CCTV (latest M series NVR and colourvue 2 way audio 8mp cameras).

I have a few question about the Ajax.

I will probably have the Ajax auto set based on opening hours. Can it be set to auto arm if no motion is detected for a set period?
I know the latest hubs have 4g backup. Can any sim be used or does it ned to be Ajax supplied.
How does it alert? Does it phone, SMS or is it via an app notification, or maybe all?
Where does the hub need to be placed? I have a ring at home that lives under the TV. Is Ajax similar?
Can it be linked to hikvision?
Are the motion sensors with pictures sent via BB of 4G?
I believe there is now an NVR available. What does this do over just the hub?
This may seem a bit daft but some of my ring motion sensors are just placed on shelves. Do Ajax motion sensors need to be wall mounted, or can I just place them on a high up shelf?

I installed the Ring and CCTV myself, so am hoping the Ajax will be just as easy. Is it an easy system to set up?

TBH if the Ajax is decent I may swap out the ring for one at home.

• It can be set to auto arm/disarm at times but I don't believe this can be linked to no motion.
  • I believe any SIM can be used. I don't think AJAX even sell SIM cards.
  • App notifications. SMS might be an option but we don't use that
  • The range on the hub is quite substantial, with the usual avoid interference. I would still place it as centrally in the home as possible to avoid interference, it can use WiFi but obviously Ethernet is preferable
  • Wall sensors are best placed on walls. They come with 3M sticky pads so they take 10 seconds to put up in the corner etc.
Can't answer your other questions but it's super easy to setup and manage.

As an aside question...

Does anyone know if offline notifications can be disabled? We have a motion detector in a shipping container which regularly drops due to the structure being like a faraday cage. But as soon as the door is opened the signal is fine, so for all intensive purposes it does its job... just the 10 odd offline notifications a day is annoying/unnecessary.

Associate
I am being quoted £55 a year by my installer for the SIM.

I've been looking at a new alarm system and some cameras and been quoted for the following:

Ajax Hub 2 Alarm Systems
Ajax Alarm Installation Including: 1 x Hub2, 2 x MotionCam (Entrance Hall & Living Room), 3 x MotionProtect (Study, Garage, Landing), 3 x DoorProtect (Front Door, Back Door, Conservatory Door), 1 x KeyPad, 1 x StreetSiren External Sounder, 1 x HomeSiren Internal Sounder. Decommission & Remove Existing Alarm, Programming, Setup and Installation, Remote Assistance Included.

£881.19

HikVision HD IP CCTV
HikVision CCTV System Installation Including, 2 x Darkfighter Low Light Turret IP Cameras, 4 Channel NVR (Networked Video Recorder), 1TB HDD, PoE Switch To Loft, Power to Loft Via Airing Cupboard, Junction Boxes, Cabling & Sundries, Programming, User Setup & Remote Health Monitoring Included.
£773.38

Does that sort of pricing look reasonable? I have no clue on what is reasonable for it.
This price looks decent for the Alarm system. Who is the installer, I’m also in Essex and in need of an alarm system?

Associate
I’ve got the ring alarm System, I find it decent for a plug and play system

Main hub, keypad, 2 door sensors, 2 motion sensors , doorbell and outside camera

I like how it’s all under one app

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who pays for a monitoring subscription, have they had substantial price hikes over the last couple of years?

Just had an email from Simplisafe advising of another price hike. That's now a 40% price hike in 18 months, which in my eyes is way too much. Especially when we've had a few false alarms and the monitoring center have never followed up with a phone call to check all is okay.

Soldato
I’ve always considered those monitoring contracts a bit of a money spinner for the companies who operate them, without any great benefits for the customers.

In reality it’s nothing more than a call centre who get a notification that your alarm has activated, then they either phone the home owner or police to advise of this.

Just having a system connected to a dialer is every bit as good in my opinion - you can add several numbers to the dialer, which keeps calling until someone answers, then whoever does that can decide on what action to take.

My alarm dials within a few seconds of activation, giving me a really early alert. There is simply no way an alarm going to a call centre is likely to result in the customer being alerted in that sort of time.

Associate
My current business alarm has auto dialler which has been rock solid. The only issue I had was moving to voip and having to rewire it to a voip adapter.

I've purchased the ajax kit, but it will take me a few weeks to get round to installing it. I intend to run both systems together.

We were cold called by versiure a few years back. I worked out pretty quickly what their business model was and stayed away.

At home I have ring. I don't mind £80 per year, which has never risen, however I have purchase a hikvision system and once installed I will re-evaluate this. Saying that I signed up when they offered lifetime warranty (I'm not sure they still do) and have worked my way up from battery powered to pro to pro plus doorbell due to failures. They don't last long, so maybe the £80py is worth keeping.

Back
Top Bottom