Alarm systems, Wire or wireless?

Soldato
Now im facing an issue on my new house about an alarm system. Yale systems look great for there wireless EF and SR range. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these? Don't mind spending good money on one as its piece of mind :)

At same time, wired? can anyone still recommend wired systems in this day and age?

Soldato
I'm in same boat and was recently comparing various wireless.

I concluded that Yale seems the quickest easiest, but also get less for the money. I'll probably settle on an pyronix enforcer from what I've seen so far.

Soldato
I put a Yale in about six months ago, had no problems with it. Seems to work fine and they've updated apps and firmware a couple of times. There's lots of extras you can add, so it's very much mix and match to your requirements. All sorts of settings you can change via a phone/tablet.

Soldato
I've installed a complex wired texecom system myself, I'm talking multiple areas, expanders, keypads, software upgrades and the like. There is a learning curve, but then you are completely self sufficient. TBH the hardest bit was figuring out the EOL wiring, and the programming - and only half of that applies to a Ricochet system.

Texecom support is also very good - I've exchanged a few emails over the years and always had good advice.

Associate
So I was thinking of buying this kit:

https://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk/texecom-kit-0002-wireless-kit

It seems to have everything that I need and it's entirely wireless.

In terms of what I'd need extra, I was thinking batteries for all the parts, a cover for the sounder, power cable and an unswitched fused spur for the control panel. Is there anything I'm missing?

Is anybody able to give a brief explanation of what I'd do to install? I of course would read the instructions but a few bullet points would be useful. What in particular would make my install complicated?

Soldato
The sensors etc. come with batteries. If possible I'd reccomend a wired keypad somewhere - just in case you don't get around to changing the batteries and it goes flat (although you can connect your PC up and do it that way I guess. My parents have one wired keypad then a wireless by the back door. I just have the one wired keypad.

Not sure why the sounder doesn't come with a cover - mine did but maybe they've changed it so the backplates are all the same with different design covers.

Soldato
Yes, lack of bell cover is weird.

Does this control panel include ComWiFi? If not I'd seriously consider an ebay serial to USB cable for connecting to a laptop via the COM port. The control panels are SO much easier to program with Wintex, than via the keypad.

Soldato
OP
Right i actually bought a honeywell system in the end as the yale setup seemed quite steep in price. Yet to install it but 150 for the whole kit and its all battery powered for 2 years.

The wiring was never an issue as im a sparky but the whole channeling of walls in a 90% brick house can become quite a pain to do and wireless was therefore my chosen option

Associate
Yes, lack of bell cover is weird.

Does this control panel include ComWiFi? If not I'd seriously consider an ebay serial to USB cable for connecting to a laptop via the COM port. The control panels are SO much easier to program with Wintex, than via the keypad.

They sell a few different colours and styles. They're only about £6-7 and so too bad.

It doesn't include comwifi but I was thinking of adding this on. Does comwifi allow you to program the panel using Wintex? I thought it was just for controlling the alarm once it was set up via your phone. I was going to buy the comusb to allow me to do this.

Associate
Right i actually bought a honeywell system in the end as the yale setup seemed quite steep in price. Yet to install it but 150 for the whole kit and its all battery powered for 2 years.

The wiring was never an issue as im a sparky but the whole channeling of walls in a 90% brick house can become quite a pain to do and wireless was therefore my chosen option

I'm a sparky, I just lift the floorboards and run the cables to the corners of the rooms for the zones. No chasing plaster out for zones at all.

So you've got the keypad and the bellbox that might need a bit of chasing in. Usually I'd try to run these down the corner of a wall and then patch it up with a bit of filler. I would situate the main panel either in a cupboard upstairs or if not available I'd look at putting it at ceiling level downstairs in a less used room like utility, downstairs loo or kitchen.

After installing plenty of wired and wireless systems I would swear by proper wired systems. Honeywell Accenta Mini are my favourite

Soldato
OP
I'm a sparky, I just lift the floorboards and run the cables to the corners of the rooms for the zones. No chasing plaster out for zones at all.

So you've got the keypad and the bellbox that might need a bit of chasing in. Usually I'd try to run these down the corner of a wall and then patch it up with a bit of filler. I would situate the main panel either in a cupboard upstairs or if not available I'd look at putting it at ceiling level downstairs in a less used room like utility, downstairs loo or kitchen.

After installing plenty of wired and wireless systems I would swear by proper wired systems. Honeywell Accenta Mini are my favourite

Iv chucked the system in today and honestly 40 mins of work to do the whole lot and program the zones. Would recommend it :)

Soldato
OP
Which Honeywell one you get?
Hs331s. Not bothered with extra bits yet as I have one sensor in house, 2 doors protected with door sensors and garage on another pir sensor. I have cats so can't really cover kitchen or hall with pir sensors or I would.

Back
Top Bottom