"alcohol is at least twice as harmful to users than cannabis and 5 times more harmful to society"

Soldato
Forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but surely controlling it and making it available from respectable retailers and outlets take it away from the criminals and the gangs? What profit would it be for them to grow it when you can just pop down the local Tesco for Milk, Bread and a bag of green?

Not only that, but you're also cutting out the drug dealers who push you to do harder drugs, offering you deals, pressuring you, lacing your product with addictives, etc.

That's the only thing that I hate about smoking weed is that the money invariable goes to fuel other crimes, many of which are no doubt violent.

People worry about kids getting their hands on it anyway, and if it was the shops, at least they're not hanging around dodgy drug dealers and other delinquents. People seem to gloss over the effect that alcohol has on kids, and when a kid is drinking they just pencil it down as life, or experience, or "bad but oh well" - but marijuana is the big evil drug that will destroy your children?

It's rather odd.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well that information was probably sauced from the seventies/eighties and I have no doubts that most of those cheap chemicals are found in cheap nasty resin today.

They aren't cheap that's the point, things like benzene are expensive and difficult to obtain compared to cheap and plentiful sugar and flour, they are also very dangerous to the handlers. The idea that they are used to cut drugs is absurd.

Last edited:
Associate
They are not linked in any way and that is were your argument falls flat. If you wish to convine people than your drug should be legalised then make positive statements for it's use, what good it will do etc instead of trying to say it is less harmful which is no reason to allow it.

They're both recreational drugs, how can they not be linked? And I've hardly just said it's less harmful and I've even clarified it for you but I'll do it again; cannabis is relatively harmless and there is no good reason why it should be illegal if the basis for the decision is safety for the user, and the comparison to alcohol just reinforces the argument that either they both should be legal, or neither. Quite simply, when you compare it to alcohol in terms of harm, the laws make absolutely no sense. And that's not even touching on the positive impact that having it regulated and removing all the gang related crime would have.

Sadly though it seems a lot of people, though mostly the older generations in my experience, just don't like the idea some of those nasty evil life-ruining drugs aren't actually evil at all, and no amount of evidence can make a difference.

Soldato
Depends on the person, some get overly addicted to alcohol, others cannabis. Alcohol does cause people to fight and cause trouble.

I know I am much better off now I don't smoke weed all the time. Crap drug tbh.

Still enjoy getting wasted once in a while though.

Soldato
Not really.
It seems the government is so distant from the publics opinions including scientists.

It'll begin to get legalised around the world and other countries will follow. In the US, more states are proposing plans for legalisation, and in the end when the UK government realise how much money they could make from taxing it, they'll fall on it.

Maybe not this government, but I think if Labour got in next time around, it would be more likely to happen. I've heard the Conservatives are against it, whilst the Lib Dems are for it (According to their latest meeting).

Back
Top Bottom