• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Something tells me the scheduler for big/little cores on alder lake is going to be bad for games, or not that much of a leap over zen3

Thats the only reason I can think of why Intel is happy leaking all these dour productivity benches and not gaming ones

Intels thread director will be critical I think.

I was reading a really interesting thread on the topic and few developers have some interesting insight on thread director. It looks to be a double edge issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd expect Intel to beef up the smaller cores in future, I can't see how Intel will compete with Zen 4 otherwise. We can't still be in the era of just adding more CPU cores :confused:

I think the general plan is to keep increasing l3 cache on the large cores.

Has Intel explained the strategy or performance benefits of having upto 8 smaller cores on Alder lake CPUs yet? Presumably, the main benefit would be to save power on laptops or tablets?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gaming benchmarks are not exciting, as everyone knows the outcome already.

The outcome is that in 2021, 4K is the intended/desired/best resolution to be running at, at which all CPU's are GPU limited, and will be for many years. Now this statement of mine will be attacked by those who like playing at below console resolutions of 1080P, 1440P and that are stuck in the past. They'll defend their 1080P CPU benchmarks to the end of time. Let them, they tend to be the noisiest and the type of poster online 10 hour a day refreshing every topic of concern to them.

All you need for 4k gaming, even with a 3090/3090ti will be a Zen3/10th/11th/12th gen CPU with 8 cores, clocked to moderate levels. You'll see no diference in FPS between any of them.

Well you've changed your tune :cry:

You were very much about "ultimate gaming CPU" just a few months back when you were posting endless leaked Rocketlake benches and expecting Intel to lead in gaming. Now you're "ah CPUs don't matter if you're GPU bound all the time" when it's looking unlikely. You must know everyone can see through this.

they tend to be the noisiest and the type of poster online 10 hour a day refreshing every topic of concern to them.

Says the most prolific and noisiest Intel shill on the forum.

Soldato
Looks pretty good for a 65w chip, beats the 5600X in both ST and MT and should be cheaper also since there are no little cores.

If Intel price the F version anywhere near £150 and without major price cuts the 5600X looks dead in the water.

Maybe if you can buy a CPU and motherboard for a fair chunk less than the cost of 5600X. Otherwise no.

Soldato
And the 12400f also makes everything from the 10th/11th Gen pointless unless you want more threads, so who gonna buy the dumpster fire that was 11th Gen 11900K etc. if you can get a *cough* £150 12400f that is better. ;)

EDIT: It does look like the shots Intel is taking over AMD's bow is fully focused on productivity, just as AMD did to Intel when 1st Gen Ryzen was launched, no games leaked or mentioned as they probably fall behind, or are on par with the currently available parts, so nothing to see.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i5-12400f looks like the new budget king for sure.

4ghz all core at 78w out of the box, runs at 60c on the stock cooler. Beats the 5600x in single and multi threaded tests and beats the 11900k in single thread.

Soldato
OP
And the 12400f also makes everything from the 10th/11th Gen pointless unless you want more threads, so who gonna buy the dumpster fire that was 11th Gen 11900K etc. if you can get a *cough* £150 12400f that is better. ;)

pretty strong chance the 12400 will beats both the 11900k and 10900k in gaming, immediately turning those parts into entry level components. As if 11th gen owners didn't feel stupid enough for buying a downgrade from 10th gen, now they slapped in the face by having the value of their CPU tank by 3 quarters :cry:

Soldato
I'm sure they will have budget B660 boards but even so at current 5600X pricing you'd have a fair chunk of change to spend on the board.

Most people will already have a board to fit the 5600X. Your hopes of the 5600X being dead in the water is just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato

EDIT: It does look like the shots Intel is taking over AMD's bow is fully focused on productivity, just as AMD did to Intel when 1st Gen Ryzen was launched, no games leaked or mentioned as they probably fall behind, or are on par with the currently available parts, so nothing to see.

Well the two areas where AMD is really hurting Intel will be where Intel focus. Gaming is much of a muchness.

Soldato
Most people will already have a board to fit the 5600X. Your hopes of the 5600X being dead in the water is just wishful thinking.
If you already have an AM4 board then the chances are you have a modern CPU and don't need to upgrade anyway, this will be aimed at the many people still rocking old Intel quads.

Soldato
Yeah, I think a lot of people will be waiting a while to upgrade their CPUs again.

There's no urgent need to upgrade, I think my 10700KF will be good for a while longer. Might be worth it for Zen 4, but will probably be in 2023 when I next upgrade.

The best time to upgrade is often when new consoles are released, with faster CPU cores, but the current consoles are still stuck with Zen 2 CPUs...

I think the use of APIs like Vulkan and DX12 can squeeze more life out of existing hardware.

Still no sign of what is next after DX12 ultimate... certainly nothing was planned for Windows 11. So, maybe no DX13 for several years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom