Alexa issues with control group

Soldato
Hi folks,
I'm hoping you smart folks can help me understand what is going on with my home automation. I have the following setup.
  • Hue lights in the lounge. One colour and one white. Both have individual names and are in a group called 'Lounge'. Alexa can happily control both.
  • 2 smart plugs that run on eFamilyCloud. Again, they have individual names and can be controlled via Alexa.
  • Kitchen lights on a smart wifi switch. Plinth and main lights, both work perfectly with Alexa. (I absolutely love these. I'm condstantly amazed how handy it is to be able to voice control the lights when I've got both hands full of plates, etc. One of the best £15 I have ever spent.)
  • Corner lamp on a TP-Link HS110, working fine with Alexa.
However, I have setup an Alexa group called 'Goodnight'. When I say "Alexa, Goodnight" the kitchen lights and corner lamp turn off perfectly. None of the others do and they have to be controlled individually. Any idea what I'm missing?

TIA.

Soldato
Why would you use a group to do that. A routine would be easier.

I have a routine for goodnight which advances the heating to off downstairs on up stairs and turns the lights off downstairs, along with the Christmas tree off as well now.

Soldato
Yeah, if you have a group called "goodnight" then technically you'd need to say "alexa trun off goodnight".

You want a routine.

I have a group called "everything" so I can "turn off everything" and a routine to called "goodnight" which also turns off everything but like robj20 changes the heating at the same time.

Multiple options for multiple things.

Still wish you could chain commands.

Alexa, goodnight AND remind me at 7am to pack gym bag.

Soldato
OP
Awesome, thanks folks. Honestly, I didn't realise that I needed to create routines. Given that just using a group worked at turning off the kitchen and lounge lamp I thought that was enough. I spent a few minutes last night creating routines for all manner of things and now I feel like He-Man ("I have the POWER!). What a revelation. :)

Back
Top Bottom