Alfred

Associate
Meet Alfred.

He will be an HTPC with some gentle Home Server responsibilities. This thread is picture heavy. I'm no photographer, so what I lack in quality I make up with quantity.

SM_005_alfred_PTC.jpg

SM_006_layout_PTC.jpg

It's made out of 18mm pine furniture board, and fronted with speaker cloth. Thanks to the winter weather and no indoor workshop, it's a slow process to get all the wood cut.

I designed the case to fit a 4x 140mm radiator in the front. The HWLabs Black Ice 560GTS is only 30mm thick but should still have enough surface area to dissipate the heat from an i7 and a 1070.

SM_004_radiator.jpg

I haven't made up my mind on the PC hardware, except a short 1070 as the maximum card length is around 270mm. No 1080s are that short :( I'll be asking some advice on that later, no doubt...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It has been cold this weekend, but I was able to make the rear panel and start putting the shell together.

I made a template from MDF and routed cutouts for the PSU, a 120mm fan and a motherboard tray.
SM_007_rear_start.jpg

By the time the light faded.
SM_008_rear.jpg

I bought a cheap PC case on eBay a few years ago, and it came with a detachable MB tray. It saves the aggro of trying to make one, and it only cost a fiver. Much less than the Lian-Li option!
SM_009_taking_shape.jpg

The side panels and the base are rebated 10mm from the front edge to seat the front panel, and also rebated to allow fit the radiator between the side panels.
SM_010_bottom_part.jpg

The next step is to rout some cutouts for some intake fans in the base.

But first I need some suggestions on the colour scheme. The outside will be stained wood, same as the picture in the first post. What do I do for the inside? I can stain the wood or spray it, any ideas welcome.

Associate
very cool :D

got to admit, when i saw the build name Alfred... all i could think was Batman's butler and was picturing a butler styled build lol

Back
Top Bottom