Algeria hostage crisis

Man of Honour
Algerian forces have moved against Islamic militants holding hostages at a gas facility in eastern Algeria, officials say.

Four foreigners were freed but a number of people were killed in the ongoing military operation, Algerian state news agency APS reported.

Algerian soldiers had been surrounding the facility near In Amenas that kidnappers occupied on Wednesday.

Reports quoting militants said at least 34 hostages and 14 kidnappers died.

Militants also told Mauritania's ANI news agency that seven foreign hostages were still alive after the Algerian military raid.

Nearly 600 Algerian workers and four foreign hostages - two from Scotland, one from France and one from Kenya - were freed during the operation, APS reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21063370

Followed by:

David Cameron has postponed a long-awaited speech on the UK's relationship with Europe due to the ongoing hostage crisis at a gas facility in Algeria.

Mr Cameron said the UK should prepare "for the possibility of bad news" after Britons were among foreign nationals taken hostage at the plant.

The prime minister was to set out his vision for the UK's future role in the EU, and the prospect of a referendum.

An Algerian military operation is ongoing. The situation remains unclear.

Mr Cameron said we faced "a very bad situation".

Algerian forces have moved against Islamic militants holding hostages at a gas facility in eastern Algeria, the state news agency reports.

Reports quoting militants said at least 34 hostages and 14 kidnappers died.

The Conservative leader had been due to give a speech in the Netherlands and was under pressure from many of his MPs to give a binding commitment to a vote on Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21064114

Doesn't sound good.

Soldato
Way to go Algeria :\

Baffles me as to why they wouldn't ask for help from britain, its not like algeria have an amazing special ops record, unless anyone in the know can enlighten me? Especially when British people are involved.

Also, why don't these huge companies like BP have proper security at places which would more likely be attacked? I can only assume money which makes me frown considering their profits.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
It's strange, it seems that the operation is still going on and some of the international community want them to stop:

1928: Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Minoru Kiuchi has flown to Algiers to speak to government officials. In Tokyo, the chief cabinet secretary, Yoshihide Suga, tells reporters Mr Kiuchi "urged the Algerian government to stop the operation immediately", AFP reports.

BP operates the gas field jointly with Algerian state oil company Sonatrach and Norwegian firm Statoil.

Live feed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21063558

It sounds like the Algerians have just full on attacked the facility...

Soldato
Cameron says that 'the country should prepare for bad news'.

What exactly does this mean? Strange choice of words to use, what has the whole country got to be prepared for?

I know what it sounds like, but I don't really know what this whole situation is about atm.

Soldato
Cameron says that 'the country should prepare for bad news'.

What exactly does this mean? Strange choice of words to use, what has the whole country got to be prepared for?

I know what it sounds like, but I don't really know what this whole situation is about atm.

Yeah, it all seems a bit fishy to me.

Caporegime
He's a politician, it is likely exaggeration and trying to make himself seem likeable.

Of course he could be double-speaking and in fact really talking about this "position" in Europe.

I would put money on the latter.

Soldato
David Cameron's voice was the lowest and deepest I think I've ever heard him go in the announcement, so I would think the news is pretty grave.

Soldato
We've had brits die in other countries before - I don't mean to disrespect any of those people, mind - but it's not a phrase I've ever seen a PM use with regard to that type of thing.

It sounds like something big is about to be announced, I mean something even bigger than a load of brits being killed in a foreign country.

Very strange choice of words, imo. How can we prepare for something that we don't know what it is? And why would he say 'bad news is coming' without telling us what that bad news is? He could only say that if he knew what the bad news was, why not just tell us?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm keeping my eye on this story.

Soldato
I highly doubt that the Algerian forces are experts at hostage rescue

its not going to be good news

Id bet our guys have been ready to go since the news broke, but without an invite they aint going anywhere :(

edit: jesus, Cameron is looking and sounding pretty darn grim in that clip

Last edited:
Caporegime
We've had brits die in other countries before - I don't mean to disrespect any of those people, mind - but it's not a phrase I've ever seen a PM use with regard to that type of thing.

It sounds like something big is about to be announced, I mean something even bigger than a load of brits being killed in a foreign country.

Very strange choice of words, imo. How can we prepare for something that we don't know what it is? And why would he say 'bad news is coming' without telling us what that bad news is? He could only say that if he knew what the bad news was, why not just tell us?

What?

The bad news is death of further British people, I'm not sure what video you watched to come to the above conclusion.

Permabanned

basically this is a convenient smoke screen cos his Europe speech was an absolute turd and would make us even more of a laughing stock when it comes to Europe

Soldato
What?

The bad news is death of further British people, I'm not sure what video you watched to come to the above conclusion.

I didn't come to a conclusion, I'm just questioning it. I find it a strange choice of words to use.

We'll have to wait and see what exactly it means.

Soldato

Because friends, relatives will be watching the news and him saying "everyones probably dead guys, soz" isnt very respectful is it.

Back
Top Bottom