Ali Express - What the 'eck is it?

Soldato
Some people won‘t let any random topic to get in the way of grabbing an opportunity to froth :cry: still it goes someway to evidencing why there are still some people who continue to support Donald Trump.

As for AE, it’s got some hard to find stuff (in my case 80mm fan grills and 40mm fans) and it all worked out fine.

Soldato
Never used them yet but you would have to pay import duty on anything over £135 yeah? I am assuming they already add 20% VAT at the checkout?

Soldato
Never used them yet but you would have to pay import duty on anything over £135 yeah? I am assuming they already add 20% VAT at the checkout?
That's something I don't like about AliExpress, you can get about three different prices. One price before you sign in, another price after you sign in, then another price with the tax at the checkout. Then there's the delivery, of course. :(

Soldato
counterfeit products After browsing alibaba, with some of the counterfeit products like 3m vhb tape (phone mounts fallen off)
seems surprising western companies don't have these feeds shut down.

Soldato
I use Aliexpress all the time for one simple reason. Amazon is now goods that are simply resold from places like Aliexpress, but with a massive upcharge. The search engine on aliexpress sucks though, you have to think about the priority order when searching.

You also need to often find the source of the product rather than a reseller. Also.. keep an eye on if they cancelled the order, as Aliexpress won't auto refund you in that scenario /facepalm.\

I order screws/bolts/chargers/springs/magnetic couplers/pouches and a whole host of other cheap stuff. I often buy my 3D printer upgrades from there as well.

Caporegime
I use Aliexpress all the time for one simple reason. Amazon is now goods that are simply resold from places like Aliexpress, but with a massive upcharge. The search engine on aliexpress sucks though, you have to think about the priority order when searching.

You also need to often find the source of the product rather than a reseller. Also.. keep an eye on if they cancelled the order, as Aliexpress won't auto refund you in that scenario /facepalm.\

I order screws/bolts/chargers/springs/magnetic couplers/pouches and a whole host of other cheap stuff. I often buy my 3D printer upgrades from there as well.

Yep.
Aliexpress is like cutting out the middleman.

If it's a cable or cheap enough that the warranty is not a bother.. Ali express.

The price differences can be huge.

Soldato
I've certainly found a lot of niche things that I've bought through Aliexpress. For example, golf headcovers and random tat equipment. Often find a lot of styles which haven't hit the likes of Amazon/eBay and are more to my horrendous taste.

I wouldn't typically buy anything that I would care about returning, as the cost to ship back is probably more than the item itself. My only exception to that is an android head unit for my car. With all the various sales on, a top model was significantly cheaper than anything I could get within Europe.

Soldato
I've bought a bunch of small Xiaomi things from AliExpress over the past several months, mostly some of their various e-ink display temperature sensors/clocks as they're often ridiculously cheap and very handy. Also got one of the Xiaomi rechargeable screwdriver sets, some really cheap USB-C cables with an LED display built in that shows the power usage, and a really nice and ridiculously cheap PS5 controller charger dock. There's heaps and heaps of crap and counterfeit stuff on there but if you're thorough and careful there's plenty of genuine bargains to be had.

I'm amazed how quickly stuff arrives too, usually within a week.

Soldato
I've bought a few things that I can wait for and I wouldn't be upset at the cost if they didn't arrive.
Everything has arrived.
I've had one order worth about £30 not arrive, unfortunately although Evri did actually phone me to tell me the order was undeliverable (the label was partly damaged apparently) I couldn't get them to provide that info in an email so I had to wait 28 days for a refund, otherwise they'd have processed it immediately. Once that passed though I got my money back.

Man of Honour
I've had one order worth about £30 not arrive, unfortunately although Evri did actually phone me to tell me the order was undeliverable (the label was partly damaged apparently) I couldn't get them to provide that info in an email so I had to wait 28 days for a refund, otherwise they'd have processed it immediately. Once that passed though I got my money back.

I'm talking £10 and under :)
The last thing was a £1.50 in-ear phones necklace so you don't lose them when I'm cycling.

Soldato
Bought plenty of things from AliExpress in the past, drone parts, electronics etc

Used to be really cheap, but with taxes and increased tariffs on goods from China, it's not really worth while now for many things.

Associate
Had lots of bargains off AliExpress. Generally if I find something on Amazon or eBay I'll check AliExpress to see if I can have the same item for less and it tends to work. A lot of the stuff you buy from Amazon or eBay are dropshipped to you from the same suppliers. Great website imo for certain items.

Soldato

Ali Express - What the 'eck is it?​

A Chinese site that sells all sorts of tat. I feel like I almost exclusively buy from there now.

Bought a cheap PS4 Slim with a faulty power button (water damage) - eBay prices for a replacement were nidicolous.

Got a brand new replacement from Ali Express for something like £2.58 delivered. Other places just cannot compete on price.

Caporegime
Seen it mentioned quite a few times. Had a google. I've seen the site. What's the deal with Ali Express? Is it legit, full of scammers, fake goods, genuine?
It's basically all the stuff, people buy and then sell on amazon at a markup.

which is why amazons full of Chinese cheap crap and all the good brands seem hidden unless you know what to search for

Soldato
Beckham is definitely mixing it up hadn't seen him on Walkers crisps advert until last night (more patriotic/cheaper than lineker !)
had thought the add was with (poorly performed) portugese player pepi but it was apparently thierry henri.

Soldato
If you were going to buy cheap knock offs of Pepe and Henry from Ali Express they probably would be called Pepi and Henri, to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom