Alienware 13 R3 or Gigabyte Aero 14/15

Associate
Hi All,

Typically, once every decade I buy the best bang for buck laptop I can afford.. it is now that time!

Coming from a 15.6" Clevo, I am looking for a laptop which is more compact and has better battery life BUT longevity (as I keep my machines for 5+ years).

I have narrowed my search down to the Alienware 13 R3 Kaby Lake and the Aero 14 or Aero 15. I want 32GB RAM and 512GB SSD (1TB preferred). My budget is just over £2k.

Alienware advantages/disadvantages that I know of:

• the fact that I can configure it with the spec I want (without having to upgrade it myself, which I am fine to do but more time/hassle)
  • the OLED screen
  • the on-site warranty which they often have offers on.
  • TB3 - although, not sure what I'd use it for just now.
  • I can get a 32GB, 1TB with 3 years on-site warranty and one year accidental for about £2350.
  • However, the depth seems as large as my Clevo at 10.6 inches! The battery life is good at 4-5 hours max and build quality appears excellent.

Aero advantages/disadvantages that I know of:

• the extremely long battery life at 7-8 hours
  • slim/compact design
  • I am not sure how good the screens are in comparison to the OLED nor the longevity of these machines.
  • No TB3 on Aero 14
  • Also, what's the warranty like as it is only 2 years and I see no option of extending it?
  • Furthermore, all suppliers tell me that they cannot upgrade the RAM or SSD as that would void the warranty if they did it but I can do it myself after? This could potentially make it more expensive than the Alienware unless I sell the RAM and SDD for a decent price afterwards.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
AERO 15 is getting rave reviews on the nbr forums and has TB3. That and the extra real estate over the Alienware means the AERO wins.

Even though the AORUS X5 is better :p

Associate
Alienware can use their external graphics amplifier, so in 3-5 yrs, just buy the best graphics card you can afford and stick it in the external box for an instant boost in fps!

Associate
In
Alienware can use their external graphics amplifier, so in 3-5 yrs, just buy the best graphics card you can afford and stick it in the external box for an instant boost in fps!

In 3-5 years time the mobile CPU will be a bottleneck, just imagine trying to run a 1080ti with an old laptop processor!

Associate
I just got an Alienware 13 from the outlet, it's not arrived yet but it's the spec you listed only with 16gb on the ram. It was £1350 so a pretty good deal and much better spec than any other 1060 you will find at that price.

As long as it does not turn up in awful condition (which going from other posts about stuff bought from the outlet is very unlikely as from what I have read they only seem to have minor cosmetic defects if any at all) then all will be good.

Theirs a sale on at the moment I think with 15% off Alienwares bought through the outlet which pretty much cancels out the added 20% vat

Associate
OP
The main reasons I'd buy the Alienware are for the screen (which I've heard is amazing but I've not seen it in person) and the additonal warranty. When adding the additional warranty (3 years onsite) from the Outlet, the price of the laptop is comparable to a brand new one (as they have an offer on the warranty for new ones).

Do John Lewis or any other shop have the Alienware's on display?

I might also wait for the Aero 15 4k screen.

Associate
I don't remember if they had the Alienwares but I did see the Aorus X3, x5 and x7 ver 6 models on display at a London department store that may also Sell Fridges.

Back
Top Bottom