Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

I hope they do an OLED replacement for the AW38
Me too.
My AW38 is excellent and I can only anticipate a suitable replacement being of the same size and resolution but OLED.

As for the whole >200Hz thing. Not sure a man in his 30s could even notice above a certain point!
My last screen was 75hz, which was an upgrade from 60hz. Massive difference!
The GSync on the AW38 is good that even games locked at 60hz seem to be very smooth.

Last edited:
Soldato
Me too.
My AW38 is excellent and I can only anticipate a suitable replacement being of the same size and resolution but OLED.

As for the whole >200Hz thing. Not sure a man in his 30s could even notice above a certain point!
The GSync on the AW38 is good that even games locked at 60hz seem to be very smooth.

Indeed! Love my AW38.
I'd take a 40" alternative, but anything bigger wont fit on my desk :p

Associate
So I'm 34 and I could always notice between 144 and 240hz - but 360 from 240 wasn't really noticeable for me. 240 is definitely what I look for as a minimum now.

I have just grabbed a Dell 120hz Ultrasharp monitor for the office and that's been brilliant, glad that office monitors are finally now catching on that higher hz isn't just for gaming.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think I am happy with 120hz. Does not mean I can't notice the difference above that. It does mean I care less for it though. Above a certain point the returns are much smaller and as I don't play competitively I just don't care for it so much.

Soldato
Me too.

So I'm 34 and I could always notice between 144 and 240hz - but 360 from 240 wasn't really noticeable for me. 240 is definitely what I look for as a minimum now.

I have just grabbed a Dell 120hz Ultrasharp monitor for the office and that's been brilliant, glad that office monitors are finally now catching on that higher hz isn't just for gaming.

I'm 38 and have no problem noticing a difference between 144 and 240hz using conventional display panels such as TN, IPS, or VA. I'm not sure if it will be as easy with an OLED cause the thing that makes it easy is the pixel response of regular panel tech which is quite lacking in some or all areas depending on the panel used. The 240hz panels usually have better pixel response to comply with the tighter refresh window(except for the cheap 240hz VAs which are dreadful).

Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy the 4K 240hz OLED from Alienware as it's rather pricey. However, after seeing my son playing on his new Switch OLED I'm getting rather hooked on purchasing an OLED myself. It's like with cars, what is the point of a fast car if you are running it using budget tires? So please help me convince myself not to spend the money cause I'm failing atm :D

Associate
Yeah I was running reaction time tests and I didn't really notice a difference but could tell with the actual gameplay it felt smoother.

So I'd at least be aware of danger or situations faster even if my reaction speed stayed the same.

Now played CS2, MW3, Rainbow Six, Valorant and Overwatch 2 reaching 360hz :)

4K has its own advantages (more detail in mid to long range encounters) but I'll take higher refresh rate everytime in almost every game to be honest except non competitive ones.

So for my own crazy thinking I've justified owning both panels.

Get the cheapest 360hz oled is my answer if that's the Alienware easy choice, I haven't experienced any vrr flickering yet, so I don't know if I got lucky or just don't play the games that trigger it, or my gpu is good enough to avoid the situation.
My approach is exactly same but spending so much for monitor again... Might just keep an eye out for second hand ones :cry: :cry:

Associate
I think I am happy with 120hz. Does not mean I can't notice the difference above that. It does mean I care less for it though. Above a certain point the returns are much smaller and as I don't play competitively I just don't care for it so much.
Yeah, for any single player games I limit my frames anyway so totally in agreement with you there. I don't need more than 120 frames to take down a Tremortusk in Forbidden West.

Butttt for competitive FPS games it's honestly dreamy when the game is running at 240+ and it just feels buttery smooth.

Associate
I'm 38 and have no problem noticing a difference between 144 and 240hz using conventional display panels such as TN, IPS, or VA. I'm not sure if it will be as easy with an OLED cause the thing that makes it easy is the pixel response of regular panel tech which is quite lacking in some or all areas depending on the panel used. The 240hz panels usually have better pixel response to comply with the tighter refresh window(except for the cheap 240hz VAs which are dreadful).

Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy the 4K 240hz OLED from Alienware as it's rather pricey. However, after seeing my son playing on his new Switch OLED I'm getting rather hooked on purchasing an OLED myself. It's like with cars, what is the point of a fast car if you are running it using budget tires? So please help me convince myself not to spend the money cause I'm failing atm :D
So without doing a terrible job of convincing you to not spend the money... I went from 240hz IPS to 240hz OLED and the difference in motion clarity is 100% noticeable.

I play some chaotic fast paced FPS games mostly (Finals, Apex, OW2) and the main difference I find is just how clear things are when all hell breaks loose. 240hz IPS was always smooth, it's the clarity of that smoothness where OLED shines massively for me.

Soldato
So without doing a terrible job of convincing you to not spend the money... I went from 240hz IPS to 240hz OLED and the difference in motion clarity is 100% noticeable.

I play some chaotic fast paced FPS games mostly (Finals, Apex, OW2) and the main difference I find is just how clear things are when all hell breaks loose. 240hz IPS was always smooth, it's the clarity of that smoothness where OLED shines massively for me.
Just as I thought. You're doing a terrible job you know of convincing me :D. Salute hihi

Soldato
Kind of disappointed that a monitor at this size/price doesn’t have integrated speakers as otherwise it looks perfect.

What’s everyone doing audio wise with this monitor?

What’s the best speaker and connection/model to use as it looks the only option is to connect some kind of HDMI e-arc soundbar?

Last edited:
Soldato
Kind of disappointed that a monitor at this size/price doesn’t have integrated speakers as otherwise it looks perfect.

What’s everyone doing audio wise with this monitor?

What’s the best speaker and connection/model to use as it looks the only option is to connect some kind of HDMI e-arc soundbar?
Or usb or connect direct to host

Associate

Excellent video from RTINGS explaining why VRR flicker is an issue on OLED and VA panels.
Its funny that IPS are portrayed flicker free when the only reason they dont flicker is that their contrast is so low that there is no perceived gamma shift causing flicker :cry:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
Its funny that IPS are portrayed flicker free when the only reason they dont flicker is that their contrast is so low that there is no perceived gamma shift causing flicker :cry:
Still there is something very wrong with vrr implementation on these monitors.
I currently have AW2725DF, S95C, C1 and BX and flickering on the Alienware is by far the worst.
What I have noticed is that the built in refresh rate/frame rate counter goes wild in some games despite the fact that I have locked framerate in game and frame delivery is super stable and I still get loads of flickering.
Other times i leave framerate unlocked and it fluctuates but there is no flicker.
Uninstalling graphics driver using DDU helped with flickering in some games so hopefully it improves with driver and firmware updates.

Last edited:
Associate

Excellent video from RTINGS explaining why VRR flicker is an issue on OLED and VA panels.

I definitely experienced this on my OLED G9 and CP 2077 as well, now I know what to look out for a bit better, I'll try and see if I notice it going forward.

Back
Top Bottom