Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Soldato
Alienware have announced two new QD-OLED monitors

* AW2725DF is a 27inch 1440p 360hz flat panel

* AW3225QF is a 32 inch 4k 240hz curved panel

Both monitors launch January 2024, just two months from now!

Alienware says both monitors will also come with the 3 year burn in warranty as the existing aw34 monitors do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's also worth mentioning that some companies have already announced 1440p 360hz and 4k 240hz w-OLED monitors using panels from LG but all of those are only expected to be available at the end of 2024, where as Alienware and Samsung looks to be beating them to market by launching QD-OLEDs with the same specs in January, almost a year ahead of LG

We'd expect other brands to follow but as was the case with the aw34, Alienware/Dell seems to be getting preferential partner status from Samsung and will be first to market with these brand new second gen QD-OLED panels. These new monitors won't just be higher refresh rates but also get brighter. I suspect quantities may be limited at launch given how much earlier these are coming to market compared to LG's panels

And on a side note, we can see why OLED monitors are now being pushed so hard by manufacturers, the growth rates are something not seen in the monitor market for a long time and currently OLED monitor sales are running with 300% growth rates and are expected to still be 200% growth through all of 2024

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Would imagine even 4090 will struggle hitting 360fps in most games.don't see the point going for 360hz

Zia

Depends on the games, recently 1300fps was reached in counter strike 2 with an overclocked 4090 and overclocked 14900k

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm starting to think peak brightness will not improve with next gen monitors like these.

I've seen a couple reviews of a monitor using the next gen panel already and peak HDR brightness is still around 1000 nits like all other QD-OLEDs.

There is some difference in brightness though at various image sizes, the newer panels tend to get a little bit bright at 2% to 25% windows and at 100% full screen as well with next gen panels able to reach nearly 300nits full screen in sdr or hdr. That will please many people who thought OLED sdr is dim.

the other touted feature of next gen panels is text clarity. I can confirm that color fringing is not fixed, next gen QDOLEDs still have color fringing. The only improvement is that the edges of fonts are a bit sharper, so it should make fonts more legible anyway

Soldato
OP
Interested in the 27" 1440p, assuming the price isn't insanely high. I've wanted the 27" LG OLED for a while but it's supposed to be pants for productivity (I need a screen that is good for both gaming & productivity) due to text clarity and potential burn in. Wonder if the QD-OLED panels will have the same problematic sub-pixel layer...

QD-OLEDs are not as good as RGB stripe LCDs, they are much better for text clarity than LG w-OLED monitors but not quite as good as RGB due to the subpixel layout. While RGB OLED monitors do exist, no one makes gaming monitors using JOLED RGB panels, all OLED gaming screens are w-OLED or QD-OLED

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here is the thing

Tim from hardware unboxed does monitor reviews almost every week or two and he says he can easily spot the text clarity and color fringing issues with OLED monitors and it annoys him. Yet I have no issue with text clarity on mine.

So Tim's eyes are sensitive to this because as a reviewer he's always looking for it. It's like a car reviewer will find it difficult to find a car they like because they are looking for flaws.

And yet Tim says he cannot tell the difference between DSC on and DSC off. So if a professional reviewer cannot spot any issue with lossless compression then I believe anyone who complains about DSC is being pedantic

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The panels for these monitors entered mass production this month, announced by samsung

Based on this, even though Alienware said the new monitors would launch January, I don't think buyers will start to receive their order until closer to the end of February or into March cause it's going to take 2-3 months to build the monitors now that the panels are in production at Samsung

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
MSI beats Alienware to the punch

First hands on with a 4k 240hz 2nd generation QD-OLED monitor

Launch Price: $1199, much lower than the $1500 and $1999 numbers some people guessed

He is very impressed with the text clarity, he says the text clarity and fringing is almost on par with a IPS RGB stripe panel

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also worth noting is MSI updated its oled care features to give the monitor extra burn in protection. In addition to the standard options like pixel refresh, panel refresh and logo dimming:

it also has multi element dimming - an algorithm that attempts to identify HUD elements in games and then dim them as necessary

Taskbar dimming - it detects and dims the taskbar as required

Border dimmer - it detects the static borders of windows apps and dims them as necessary

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unless you don't want to use compression.

No devices currently available use full bandwidth DP 2.1 All GPUs and monitors with DP 2.1 are using UHBR 13.5, which is limited to 52Gb/s bandwidth. 4k240Hz uncompressed requires around 70Gb/s bandwidth. So even with DP 2.1 the monitor would still have required DSC in order to run at 4k240hz. May as well save on costs and just use HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4, both of which can also use DSC to run 4k240Hz.

This is why you don't see many 2024 monitors using Dp2.1, it has no real benefit because it's currently limited to 52GB/s which is almost identical to hdmi2.1

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Alienware has the best warranty, not just because it has clear burn in warranty but also because they have a no down time replacement service where they send you a new monitor before you even send the broken one to them - there is nothing worse than doing an RMA and being without something for weeks or months

Soldato
OP
Its Gsync compatible, its just not Gsync certified so they can't claim it is. It will still work.

The 32 inch version has "Gsync = Yes" but it doesn't have a gsync module, its just because that one is certified

Back
Top Bottom