Alienware! Something happened?

Associate
Been away a while, what happened to Alienware popularity? Used to be a loads of chaps trying to get outlet laptops for themselves and for others, has interest died?

New R5 no good?

Man of Honour
As above very overpriced, couldn't come close to the sort of spec offered by others without being £100's more expensive when I looked the other day.

Associate
My mate bought one last year, strongly advised him not too.

He had 3 months of hell with it not working and having their engineers out before getting his money back.

Associate
OP
This time last year people were queueing up to buy from outlet. So people going for cheaper but better spec'ed machines. My machine has been fine (touch wood) but heard that dells customer service and RMA ain't that great.

Soldato
My mate bought one last year, strongly advised him not too.

He had 3 months of hell with it not working and having their engineers out before getting his money back.

"engineers"

pftch-1_zps32348cb5.png

Soldato
Engineer is such an abused job title and they are actually in reality technicians. To be a proper engineer requires study and degrees which aren't easy.

Soldato
Engineer is such an abused job title and they are actually in reality technicians. To be a proper engineer requires study and degrees which aren't easy.

+1

someone told me that in Germany being an Engineer has the same prestigious-ness as being a doctor and the titles are restricted to those who are qualified engineers

:)

Soldato
I have had my m18x R1 for almost two years and it’s been rock solid. At the time there was nothing close to it for the price. There are more options now but I would still consider one as the price can be brought down a lot using discount codes and a phone call.

Associate
I have had my m18x R1 for almost two years and it’s been rock solid. At the time there was nothing close to it for the price. There are more options now but I would still consider one as the price can be brought down a lot using discount codes and a phone call.

Surely it's still cheaper to build your own if you are a little educated on the matter?

Associate
People just realised that the I7 you buy from here is the same I7 you buy from alienware .. it just costs 400 quid less and you can buy the case badges on the bay :D

Soldato
Everything changed on the release of the latest AW laptops as now you can no longer spec up the entry level model with a better GPU and save money. If you want a 780M you have to buy the model with the 780M in the first place.

This adds on top of the higher price in the first place.

Man of Honour
Surely it's still cheaper to build your own if you are a little educated on the matter?

We're talking laptops rather than desktops, you can get barebones laptop chassis and buy parts but you'll always come out pretty close to buying a pre built one as it's more difficult to source laptop components.

Associate

I have the same machine got it for £900 with crossfire graphics and changed the cpu to the extreme edition.

runs like a desktop and was a great buy as its all I run now and I used to buy stuff for my desktop on a daily to weekly basis in Members market so it saves me a fortune.

Theirs words you don't here often "alienware saves me a fortune" :)

Back
Top Bottom