All PSUs same size?

Soldato
Just a quick question really. Are all PSUs the same size?

Just fitted the one that came with my Alienware system into my new Coolermaster ATCS 840 case, and it's a bit too big. I had to push it back into the case to get the power cable in.

I'm guessing most normal PSUs don't have this problem and are all the same size and would fit fine into any case?

Soldato
Nope, not even slightly. There is a standard size, it's about 15cm deep. However there are many longer designs and a whole pile of smaller, low wattage ones. The high wattage ones are particularly likely to be larger than atx spec. Thankfully many cases can cope with longer than normal supplies.

The trick is in measuring the case, and checking the dimensions of the psu before you buy. Obviously not possible in all examples though.

Soldato
The majority are I believe. However I don't doubt some fail to follow the atx spec, dell are famous for ignoring it. If you're looking for a new psu, any which claim to conform to atx specifications will be fine. Otherwise you could strap the current one in place somehow and it'll probably be alright.

My particular case has space for a wider or a longer psu, but not a taller one. Just means you need to check the dimensions of the new psu before you buy

Soldato
OP
Yeah. I will probably look for a new one at some point. I was looking at the Be Quiet! ones. They look good, and have some good reviews. Seems like they do actually follow the ATX size.

Soldato
Most of the big players do. Koolance have a range of supplies which are very, very long but very good. OCZ/corsair/bequiet/pc p&c/seasonic etc can all be expected to make them the right size. Alienware perhaps less so :)

Soldato
OP
Haha yeah. Given as Alienware are owned by Dell, it doesn't surprise me now it's too high.

But yeah. I expected most of the big names to make proper ATX spec ones. Will buy one come November maybe.

Soldato
OP
Aye. It runs fine. Will get a new one before the end of the year however. The way it's sitting is a bit annoying. My girlfriend is buying me a fan controller soon, so I can tidy my case for then. And make sure the PSU is still ok where it is.

Soldato
OP
Quick question to add to this. Anyone here got one of the be quiet! Dark Power Pro PSUs? I'm looking at one for the future. Going to be running the following off it:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked to 4GHz)
Patriot Viper RAM - 6GB
Zotac GTX 275 AMP! Edition x 2
DVD Drive
Creative X-Fi soundcard
Four hard drives roughly
Around 9 fans
Fan controller

Would an 850W PSU power all this ok? Or would a 1000W one be better? I currently have a 1000W one, but I think it may be overkill? I don't know much about PSUs sadly =(

Back
Top Bottom