All you non overclockers tell me why you don't overclock?

Soldato
snowdog said:
Then you are patient, i notice it when my pc boots up 2 seconds longer as usual, and in rome total war, i cant use huge unit size on 3 ghz (with everythign else maxed) on big battles with 4 full armies... , on 4.1 i can (w/o lag)...

Your lucky enough to get a 1.1ghz increase ;)
I get a .4 increase.. :o
With th gfx overclock.. the fps boost doesnt really matter in the games I play

Associate
pegasus1 said:
You should be able to push that 7800gtx a bit more as well, its usually a lack of volts that hold that card back. Mine is at 525/1.37 on water but never goes above 35C even during heavy gaming.
Well you quoted me right there... im scared of volts. And volts PLUS water is a big no-no.

I just bumped it up to EE speeds and left it. Never tried to go higher, but it is on the cards.

Associate
snowdog said:
Not true, even the fastest cpu can take 2 seconds to render a cpu intensive website, an overclock makes it load faster, i dont understand how someone doesnt want something to happen faster on his pc, if it happens slowly you are wasting time...

"This thing can flash fry a buffalo in 30 seconds"
"Oh, I want it now"

Soldato
Insanity said:
Well you quoted me right there... im scared of volts. And volts PLUS water is a big no-no.

I just bumped it up to EE speeds and left it. Never tried to go higher, but it is on the cards.
If you use coolbits to OC then just up one of the settings by 5 mhz (mem or core but not both at the same time) and then test . Thats how i got my speeds and coolbits is slightly conservative so no artifacts.

Soldato
Insanity said:
Yeah, i know all that, i just dont have the time/patience to sit there and increase by 5mhz and retest all the time. :p

5mhz? i usually do 20 mhz till i find a bsod, then i do 10 down from bsod, retry, if stable i go up 5, if unstable down 5, etc...bit pointless doing 5 mhz steps from start, in total shounldt take more than 10~15 mins...

Soldato
snowdog said:
5mhz? i usually do 20 mhz till i find a bsod, then i do 10 down from bsod, retry, if stable i go up 5, if unstable down 5, etc...bit pointless doing 5 mhz steps from start, in total shounldt take more than 10~15 mins...
5mhz from his current Overclock, not from his stock speeds.
If you go to BSOD then youve gone miles to far, you notice artifacts long before BSOD.
Once you have your limit on Coolbits then run 3D mark a few times or a Graphic intensive game and look for tears or sparklies. FEAR is great at exposing a card that has been pushed to far.
i can only go by my personnal experiance and my 7800GTX 256 at 525/1.37 (100% artifact free) backs that up, i dont think ive seen many non-volt modded cards 100% stable at those speeds

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
5mhz from his current Overclock, not from his stock speeds.
If you go to BSOD then youve gone miles to far, you notice artifacts long before BSOD.
Once you have your limit on Coolbits then run 3D mark a few times or a Graphic intensive game and look for tears or sparklies. FEAR is great at exposing a card that has been pushed to far.
i can only go by my personnal experiance and my 7800GTX 256 at 525/1.37 (100% artifact free) backs that up, i dont think ive seen many non-volt modded cards 100% stable at those speeds

OOPS been talkign about cpu oc :eek: , never had a bsod yet due to gfx oc, nor is my gfx oced cos it scared the hell out of me when it showed artifacts last time i did, althougth i need the power for an extra 2x aa in some games im afraid to kill my card...

Last edited:
Soldato
snowdog said:
OOPS been talkign about cpu oc :eek: , never had a bsod yet due to gfx oc, nor is my gfx oced cos it scared the hell out of me when it showed artifacts last time i did, althougth i need the power for an extra 2x aa in some games im afraid to kill my card...
Coolbits wont allow it go too far, its worth a go in my opinion.

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
Coolbits wont allow it go too far, its worth a go in my opinion.

Any idea where i should stop, i tried 476/1145 last time but that gave artifacts.
I posted this in a therad asking about ocing but im really afraid to push it too far... ( gfx cost me more as my cpu)
Temps are 25~35 idle, 45 max when stressed

I have a sparkle 6800gs with a zalman:
afbeelding013gf7.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Instal coolbits then let it run its program to find your max OC.
Run a game using the results it gives you.
If all is well then up the settings one at a time by 5 mhz until coolbits says it didnt pass. apply each setting as it passes before trying the next 5 mhz.
once you have found the max of both Core and Mem then run a graphic intensive game.
IIRC sparklies are core to high and tears are mem to high but it may be the other way round.

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
Instal coolbits then let it run its program to find your max OC.
Run a game using the results it gives you.
If all is well then up the settings one at a time by 5 mhz until coolbits says it didnt pass. apply each setting as it passes before trying the next 5 mhz.
once you have found the max of both Core and Mem then run a graphic intensive game.
IIRC sparklies are core to high and tears are mem to high but it may be the other way round.

Coolbits reg thing is standard to install on any pc for me , anyhow i let it ''test optimal thing'' and it set it to 469/1009 (just 9 mhz on ram :confused: ), anyhow ill go play bf1942 or something for an hour or so now, ill report back if something goes wrong...

ps. this isnt my 1st card to oc, my 6600gt cloked nicely without any probs ever, even on stock cooling, just a bit afraid with this perticular 6800gs i have atm...

Last edited:
Soldato
right, after 2minutes the whole screen ****** up and 10 seconds after my whole pc froze, as i expected kinda that something would happen, meh why arent gfx cards so easy to oc as cpu's... ( well most are, my old card was, but this one is total rubbish) , this card hates me somehow, either this is a fake 6800gs with flashed bios ( not bought new, i have the receipt from old owner tho who bought it from shop, but the compedator in name doesnt have a good name), or this is just a very very poor clocker :mad: .

Soldato
Ram on gfx cards in general dont oc well, its just the core you can in general overclock. So leave the ram alone snowdog and just concentrate on the core. If you get tears etc try lowering ram down by 5 as it may help get that little bit more from the core.

Back
Top Bottom