• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All your GPU BF3 Beta questions answered and benched - Article!

Man of Honour
Bare in mind that the assets for a number of textures/shaders for High and Ultra modes are missing in the beta and a good bit of stuff is only running in "normal" quality even if you select higher.

Hopefully the retail version will have the proper higher res depth mapped versions of stone walls, brick walls, tiles, sandbags, etc. amongst other things.

Associate
Still so confused over what will actually run 'ultra' settings.

Dice say the quality will be better, others say 'ultra' wasn't actually implemented. The 580 seemed to be getting 33fps at times (which is unplayable if he's saying 64 man servers aren't even up yet). Not to mention that there was no single player demo in the beta, where the graphics look insane on youtube.

So What the heck is really going to be needed to drive this game? Price/Performance difference in that review was very interesting. I may settle for a single 570, instead of the dual 6950 2gb I was going to get, just because of the sheer amount of price difference for a few extra fps :/. UGH! Was hoping to play this game maxed out all the time with a top gfx card, but obviously won't be the case. God help us for Skyrim !

Associate
I read somewhere that the demo's we've all seen so far are running on 2 x GTX580's in SLI mode. Also the demo we are all playing is a slightly modified alpha. The reason why we have not got all of the eye candy yet is simple, bandwith costs money ! They have given us all a taste of things to come. It's a "beta" demo at the end of the day. When the game actually comes out in a few weeks time, people will be able to see BF in all it's glory.

Soldato
OP
I read somewhere that the demo's we've all seen so far are running on 2 x GTX580's in SLI mode. Also the demo we are all playing is a slightly modified alpha. The reason why we have not got all of the eye candy yet is simple, bandwith costs money ! They have given us all a taste of things to come. It's a "beta" demo at the end of the day. When the game actually comes out in a few weeks time, people will be able to see BF in all it's glory.

Hopefully that glory will run decent enough on my pc!

Associate
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Battlefield-3-Beta-Caspian-Border-Performance-and-Screenshots

Link for Caspian benchmarks too.

What is interesting is that because that map was for 64 players (rather than the 32 players of the Operation Metro map) and that it included a MUCH larger open space, we were worried that it would require a lot more GPU horsepower or memory than the map everyone is playing on today. While we can't say for 100% certainty because we haven't tested as many cards, it looks like there is only a minimal impact on performance for the client:

Sounds promising

Back
Top Bottom