Allowing recording of video from webcam?

Associate
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a way to allow users to record a short video clip using their webcam, for example 5 mins. I am thinking there must be a way to allow the user to record the video on their client machine and then its uploaded to the server?

I did find this but it seems to only take stills, can anyone help have something exactly like in the link but for recording video?

Thanks

Usual solution is for a flash/HTML5 'recorder' that captures to the users machine and then does a file transfer once finished, rather than stream directly to the server where it saves it as a flat-file.

Edit - Infact, it looks like that jQuery plugin (i've seen a few more around; do a google) you posted is on the right lines if it allows you to save the input. Just a case of uploading it.

Looking at the code I see a lot of JS but is ther anyway I can grab the required code?

And how does it record, does it record to the server oir client PC , then upload?

Would love to get a hold of the code and play with it.

Looking at the code I see a lot of JS but is ther anyway I can grab the required code?
You can decompile flash using tools like Sothink, but it will be very buggy code, which you would most likely have to refactor to make work properly.

And how does it record, does it record to the server oir client PC , then upload?
I would imagine it records to the user's local machine and then uploads the saved .mp4 file to the server. This could be very VERY slow if you're taking a 5 minute video.

Well 2 minutes or maybe even 1 minute would be enough, the idea is to make the user sell themseves to the camera. So the shorter the better as it would foprce them not to ramble.

Back
Top Bottom