alloy wheel refurbs...

Soldato
well, after my first ever 'clip' with a kerb, ive put a nasty gash on one of my alloys.. now...

the other 3 are quite badly 'pitted' with dirt that just doesnt seem to want to come off... so.. im considering getting all 4 wheels refurbed so they are all nice and spangly new...

does anyone know how much refurbing can do? if I get some pictures of the alloys, is there anyone here who can tell me if they will look perfect after?

cheers

Associate
I had mine done by Micheldever Tyres, the were all off colour where the laquer had peeled off and a had a couple of scuffs from the previous owner. The came back like new and make the car look like it just came out of the showroom (almost) Definately worth doing as it gives a new lease of life and improves the appearance. I'm glad I had them done. I'd recommend it to anyone especially if you like the alloys you have, it is cheaper than buying new ones.

Soldato
Conanius said:
well, after my first ever 'clip' with a kerb, ive put a nasty gash on one of my alloys.. now...

the other 3 are quite badly 'pitted' with dirt that just doesnt seem to want to come off... so.. im considering getting all 4 wheels refurbed so they are all nice and spangly new...

does anyone know how much refurbing can do? if I get some pictures of the alloys, is there anyone here who can tell me if they will look perfect after?

cheers
they can work miracles to be honest.
i've seen wheels that could barely be described as being round come back looking like new.

Associate
Depends where you go, it seems to be fair bit more expensive down here in the south. Mine cost me £200 inc tyre removal /refitting and balancing, but I've heard of people getting them done a fair bit cheaper "up north". Best thing is to phone around.

Soldato
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Conanius, but I'm also looking for wheel refurbishing places.

Anyone know any around Manchester?

Soldato
I used chipsaway.co.uk, they come to your house and do the job while the car is on your drive or whatever, I think pricing and quality varies though as they are a franchise, I paid £130 for my wheels to be done, they looked great but noticed the guy also spayred one of the centre caps with the alloy brand logo on them (don't no why he did that, guess hes never heard of masking tape (that applies to the tyres as well lol)

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I used chipsaway.co.uk, they come to your house and do the job while the car is on your drive or whatever, I think pricing and quality varies though as they are a franchise, I paid £130 for my wheels to be done, they looked great but noticed the guy also spayred one of the centre caps with the alloy brand logo on them (don't no why he did that, guess hes never heard of masking tape (that applies to the tyres as well lol)

Depending on what you actually want / need doing someone like chipsaway can be good, beware though, even thought they advertise as full refurb, I found all the mobile one's would actually only do the "face" of the wheel and not the whole wheel like mine were. So check what they actually will do when getting prices.

Soldato
Origin said:
Depending on what you actually want / need doing someone like chipsaway can be good, beware though, even thought they advertise as full refurb, I found all the mobile one's would actually only do the "face" of the wheel and not the whole wheel like mine were. So check what they actually will do when getting prices.
surely if they work on your driveway they cannot be doing the more complex operations like alloy welding etc?

Soldato
yeah chips away only really work on the face of the alloy so for damages like scraping the alloys on the kerb, wouldn't imagine they'd be able to do much more than that from working on the drive as they do it with the wheels still attached to the car.

Back
Top Bottom