Alternative to anti-static bag!?

Soldato
I've just sold my mobo online, but I appear to have lost the anti-static bag.
I still have the box but no bag.

Can anyone suggest a safe alternative (something I might find in the house would be useful!).

Cheers! :)

Soldato
bubble wrap is just as good

I don't think it's very funny to cost people money by giving incorrect advice, or are you going to offer to replace the motherboard or pay for it after it gets damaged?

Go down to your local PC shop and see if they have any spare bags kicking around.

Soldato
I don't think it's very funny to cost people money by giving incorrect advice, or are you going to offer to replace the motherboard or pay for it after it gets damaged?

Go down to your local PC shop and see if they have any spare bags kicking around.

my apologies i was'nt trying to be funny or cost people money i should have made the op aware that anti static bubble wrap can also be used.

Soldato
I've posted plenty of motherboards & HDDs in standard bubble-wrap from the local shop, never had any problem at all there.

Static is overrated- Yes, there is the possibility of it killing things, but this is neglibile at best. Whats far more likely to kill the board is inadequate packaging for the post, as its going to be thrown around by the post office.

-Leezer-

Soldato
Make sure you gave the buyer the chance to pay the extra for the insured postage incase it breaks and they then claim you didn't do it right or something as you can say well you didn't want to have it insured. Your problem.

Associate
Make sure you gave the buyer the chance to pay the extra for the insured postage incase it breaks and they then claim you didn't do it right or something as you can say well you didn't want to have it insured. Your problem.

If the motherboard is worth under about £35 it will be insured automatically.

Soldato
OP
No need for apologies people! I went to see the purple people (they even checked their little lab bit for some but couldn't find any).

Went with standard bubble wrap in the end! Even if it did fail I'd never hold someone accountable on a forum :)

Soldato
No need for apologies people! I went to see the purple people (they even checked their little lab bit for some but couldn't find any).

Went with standard bubble wrap in the end! Even if it did fail I'd never hold someone accountable on a forum :)

Standard bubble wrap is a static generating nightmare, I'll be impressed if it works when the person at the other end opens it and discharges the build up, they'll probably be able to see the spark let alone feel it.

Soldato
Wrap it in bacon. Whoever bought it will be pleased that it comes with free bacon. Plus, whenever it gets hot in your case you'll have the pleasing aroma of bacon to keep you company. Wrap it in bacon.

I can't express how much joy this has brought me.

Do it.

DO IT.

Doooo it.

Man of Honour
I've posted plenty of motherboards & HDDs in standard bubble-wrap from the local shop, never had any problem at all there.

Static is overrated- Yes, there is the possibility of it killing things, but this is neglibile at best. Whats far more likely to kill the board is inadequate packaging for the post, as its going to be thrown around by the post office.

-Leezer-

Over rated!!!:mad:

You may think that taking Anti Static Precautions sound like being a little paranoid and over precautious but have you ever had a shock when touching something metal when static is discharged? Now imagine what that will do to your nice new Q6600. Are you really going to take it to chance?

You must discharge any static build up before handling components.

One thing to bear in mind is that if a device receives an ESD charge, it might not fail immediately. This is the fact that the effects of ESD are not felt right away but over time get worse. This is known as hidden ESD.

Dust and debris inside the case can also cause the hidden ESD effect. The dust holds a small electric charge which eventually begin to degrade the performance of internal components. Make sure the inside of your case is cleaned periodically using a vacuum (use plastic attachments only) and a compressed air can to remove the dust.

There are a number of gadgets and devices that can help eliminate the effects of ESD whilst maintain your PC:

ESD wrist straps

Anti-static wrist straps are designed to filter out static and discharge static safely. A 1 mega-ohm cable is connected from you to the an earth ground, usually the earth pin on a normal wall socket. Make sure that only the earth plug is connected. The other two pins should be plastic.

Anti-Static Mat

Mats work the same way as the wrist straps. Components are placed on the mat and static safely discharged. The mat is also attached to earth ground as above.

Anti-Static Spray

Supposedly removes static effectively from clothing but not as affective as above.

Anti-Static bags

Used for long term storage for anti-static precautions. When working with components, leave in bag for as long as possible until needed. DO NOT USE STANDARD BUBBLE WRAP!!

Associate
yeah i bought some extra ram from ebay and the guy, bless him, used bubble wrap. Luckily it works though. I still gave him positive score though, coz if i didn't he'd have given me negative score too :) i emailed him with anti static bag awareness.

In other news; I'm now using 1 space after a full stop, not 2. :)

Back
Top Bottom