1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALUMIA by JR23

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JR23, Jul 5, 2017.

1. JR23

Gangster

I did do that first actually, it looked amazing but just way too Harley for this. I'll see soon how visible they are with the cards in place and figure it out from there, I think it will need to be something subtle not trying to steal attention when it's half hidden.

JR

2. orbitalwalsh

Wise Guy

im guessing if left silver/metal maybe chromed/nickeled to give it a bit more shine ?

3. JR23

Gangster

[​IMG]

I said something about a case soon I know but I had to see how the cards looked on the board, just because all that brushed black aluminium together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, now maybe just a little look at the case too, USA! The third major part to be sent from California, well not to me, I got it from Romania.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't plan to keep the powder coat, so I thought it most appropriate that it should start off white just like the silver arrows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now time to start thinking what to do with it, most urgently I need to find space for rads and there just so happens to be a huge well ventilated and isolated chamber ready to go. Even a little extra width for some other stuff next to the PSU.

[​IMG]

The E-ATX Classified drops in no problem, sort of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In front of the motherboard tray there was an extra little cable tidy which fitted back in the wrong way around quite neatly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first placement i'm 100% set on! The Aquaero's have definitely got to go up here at the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the second 240mm radiator quite logically placed in the front.

[​IMG]

Some things that definitely won't be positioned as anyone anticipated are the USB3.0 and auxiliary PCIe power, because i'm pretty sure they won't fit inside the case. Starting to make 7-slot seem weird, but i'm all about saving space and not having USB headers.

[​IMG]

RAD > CPU > GPU

[​IMG]

Missed until now, EK's very stealthy backplates.

[​IMG]

So, I think that's all the things

[​IMG]

Yeah, definitely no chance of front fans while using standard length cards, i'd say getting a flat front bracket cut and countersinking the rad screws might just net enough space for slim fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely do need all 4 memory heatsinks, the hierarchy is just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So a lot of things i'm starting to figure out, pump/reservoir placement not so much, maybe infront of the PSU. To actually fit front fans and have room to route tubing i'm definitely going to need to extend the case just a bit. I knew that all along and I do desperately want to get rid of the windows and hideous holes for handles that ruin the look of the case. Thanks handle people, you killed it for everyone. But then do I make it significantly longer to fit a 360 and start putting parts inbetween the motherboard and the radiator. Many decisions to go...

JR​

4. orbitalwalsh

Wise Guy

looks really good!

not to sure how you ordered up the BH7 but are you able to install a 240 at the top end of the mobo ( CPU Power cables might be a pain) or on the top panel (but does cover view from above of the CPU/RAM) ?

Seen some stunners with windows replaced for Custom Acrylic Reservoirs :D

5. LePhuronn

Wise Guy

Awesome as always. Personally I'd keep the M.2 sinks in raw aluminium. Not for the aesthetic quality (because you can't see them), but for a thought process in keeping with your design inspiration: would a designer in the 30's put an unnecessary layer on a heat-dissipating component?

6. ubersonic

Capodecina

How did you convince EK to sell you a separate/second GPU block? I've been asking them for weeks but nothing lol.

7. JR23

Gangster

[​IMG]

It's just a standard BH7, the only style bestcase has. The only place actually intended to mount rads is straight above the motherboard so it's too short overall to have one at the front. It would be tall enough to fit one on the side above the EPS connectors however that would clash with the front and top mounts. Although I don't want to have any windows at all I also don't want to cover the CPU area so it can be displayed and photographed without the top part of the clam shell.

You can see them a little bit and the bright aluminium throws some light back up across the blocks. Definitely not black or painted but there are still many options. They do look pretty good right now though. Also plan to remove the terminal covers from the cards to show the cast part of the GPU blocks.

I didn't, I have two entire kits check page 1 :) separate things will come soon. I've been asking for months :D

JR

8. orbitalwalsh

Wise Guy

Mmm, would you be able to stack the two rads at the bottom one on top of the other ?

No fittings are a bit limited having to be aluminium or acetal but would solve space issues and leave upstairs clean .
    Plus would make for some cool engineering to get a rig mount for it