Am I being shafted?

Soldato
Acme does kinda have a point, all of the checks here http://www.1320.co.uk/inspection-2-service-r50r53 would be done for an MOT, although perhaps things might get looked at in a little more detail during the service and they might adjust/tweak things as necessary.

Whilst some manufacturer servicing seems expensive, most manufacturers do 'value' services for older cars which usually costs about £100 but tends to have most of the checks a 'regular' interim service will. I usually go this route with my car and my girlfriend's car - you get the stamp in the book for the anal folk among us, and you don't pay a lot more than most random independent garages round here would probably charge.

'Major service' items such as plugs, air/pollen filters, etc., I do myself.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Something about stones and glass houses comes to mind when Acme gets confused about people not listening to advice.

Oh damn :D

OT:

Either way, I'm not fussed. I asked if I was being shafted, the answer seems to be "yes, a little bit" which I'm fine with. I have no issues paying a bit extra and getting it done so I can actually enjoy my weekend rather than spend a day trying to save a few hundred pounds.

If this seems odd, this weekend is my last weekend off until January, so I fully intend to spend it with my wife doing stuff we want to do, and if that costs a bit more, then so be it.

Caporegime
60% too expensive (maybe 50% too expensive at a push) is a little bit ridiculous even if you are resigning yourself to being "shafted a little bit" but at the end of the day its up to you. Hope they do a good job. :)

Caporegime
OP
London is asspensiff bro. Errythang is asspensiff.

HOWEVER!

You guys are right, and next time I will certainly be looking for a cheaper place to start off with, and take the car to an MOT only center, so they won't profit from false flags.

Man of Honour
The same thing I did I guess, by searching R50 Inspection 2,which presents a task list of oil and filters, aux belt and then a load of checks that pretty much duplicate an MOT or are pointless, like checking wiper blades.

The aux belt is not included. You have probably found a non UK market schedule or something.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Few people saying they got quoted £400~, Mr Clutch quote around £430 as a chain. I just Googled "Mini R53 clutch replacement cost"

Lol - take it to Mr Clutch and:-

A: It'll need doing again in a year
B: They'll round off/snap/forget to put half the bolts back and bodge the rest.

Associate
[TW]Fox;30035809 said:
Inspection 2 is the biggest service on the Mini - it is the 'major' service.

Code:
Lighting system checked.
Instrument panel, dashboard lighting and heating/ventilation fans checked.
Horn, flashlights and hazard warning lights checked.
Condition of safety belts checked; function of automatic belt tensioners, buckles and clips tested.
Acid levels and charging status of battery checked; battery recharged (if necessary).*
Microfilter for heating and air conditioning systems replaced.
If MINI Mobility System is available: compressor canister replaced after four years.*
Visibility checks for damage, leaks and corrosion performed on suspension and bodywork.
Tailgate hinges lubricated.
ENGINE COMPARTMENT:

Self-diagnosis system tested; read-out of error memory.
Engine oil and oil filter replaced.
Cooling water levels and liquid concentration tested after top-up.
Cooling water replaced at pre-determined interval (after four years at the latest) with suitable cooling liquid (if necessary).*
Service interval indicator reset according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Liquid levels for screen washer and headlight washer (if available) checked; liquid refilled if necessary.
Liquid levels for power steering checked; liquid refilled (if necessary).*
Brake fluid replaced within the specified service intervals (after two years at the latest).*
SUSPENSION:

Average strength of front and rear brake pads measured.
If brake pads are replaced: brake shaft cleaned; surface and strength of brake discs tested; wheel-centring hub of light-alloy wheels lubricated.*
Steering tested for play, solidity, damage and wear and tear.
Undercarriage tested for leaks, damage and corrosion.
Brake cables checked for solidity, damage and correct positioning.
Handbrake checked for correct function; adjusted as necessary.
Handbrake repaired according to manufacturer’s specifications (if necessary).
Tyre pressure (including spare wheel) tested and adjusted as necessary; Runflat Indicator reset; condition, profile and contact of tyres tested.
FINAL CHECK:

Test drive to check roadworthiness, including tests for brakes, steering or power steering, clutch, indicators and warning lights.
*Costs Extra

You are paying Mini £250 to change oil, top up coolant, washer fluid and change brake pads if they are low. Two Hundred & Fifty pounds.

If any of things they inspect along the way are broken, I can guarantee that that will be an additional charge and not included in inspection II price. So consider that £250 a minimum charge.

The "major" service doesn't include any other major fluid flushes for £250, it is essentially an MOT prep. Dear god, talk about getting shafted.

Anyway, like Diddums mentioned the piece of mind is worth it in some cases.

Caporegime
OP
Exactly, and as I said, I'm working 7 days a week until January so I'd rathe rjust blow the cash and have a nice weekend with my wife than have to worry about it.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30036238 said:
The aux belt is not included. You have probably found a non UK market schedule or something.

Well it's on offer as multiple near identical schedules of work from different places with .co.uk domains, so I think it'd be harsh to criticise people for thinking it is included for a UK car.

Anyway, That being the case, that's one less useful bit of work for your £250.

Man of Honour
Well it's on offer as multiple near identical schedules of work from different places with .co.uk domains, so I think it'd be harsh to criticise people for thinking it is included for a UK car.

Anyway, That being the case, that's one less useful bit of work for your £250.

I don't think £250 is outrageous for the largest service you can have on the car.

It includes oil/filter, air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs as well as the list of inspection items to be checked, a road test and an error memory readout. There is some overlap with an MOT, sure, but there are also bits that are not checked in MOT.

We pour scorn on the idea of 'inspection' but 99% of people will not 'inspect' the underside of their own car, go pulling CV joints around, etc etc so it's hardly an outrageous thing to have included on a service schedule.

At Mini Value Service Pricing:

Oil Service £115
Inspection 1 £185
Inspection 2 £285

So therefore the 'Inspection' elements of the services account for 70 quid which is fairly reasonable for the time involved - and this is at main dealer prices. I'd probably pay the extra for Mini to do it though for 35 quid more.

No scheduled service on any BMW or Mini includes replacement of the auxiliary drive belt. CHECKING the belt condition is of course part of the Inspection service, but it doesn't include its replacement and it's a chargeable extra if its required.

Back
Top Bottom