Am I being unreasonable to my employer?

Soldato
He gives the OP a job though and also a wage that the OP uses to live off.

Doesn't sound like all take to me.

Don't forget its not a god given right to have employment

Yes, employess get paid for their services in which the employers gain in profits.

It's not a god given right to treat your staff like crap because you think you're doing them a favour.

I don't even think you have your own company, or know how to manage employees at all.

Soldato
MD sounds like a nob and not the kind you find on a door............
There should always be some flexibility allowed for these kinds of emergencies, and if you have been the model employee over the years then the east he could do is cut you a bit of slack. Almost sounds like a modern day Eberneezer Scrooge. His he a family man, does he have kids, if he does then he is acting like a ****. Although I can't think for one minute that someone who had children of their own would be such a bell end about your request !!

I say get a new job and tell your MD to lick his own balls

Soldato
If you run a business and can't cover staff being off, you really are doing a bad job. Not planning for short staffing is just ridiculous. Even more sore if it is time critical.

We can cover staff being off. But it costs 3-4 times what it costs for the regular member of staff to do it as they have a set job.

I also doubt any business could afford to double up on staff "just in case".

Soldato
Yes, employess get paid for their services in which the employers gain in profits.

It's not a god given right to treat your staff like crap because you think you're doing them a favour.

I don't even think you have your own company, or know how to manage employees at all.

I didnt say its a right to treat staff like crap. I also don't think I'm doing my staff a favour.
However it is a 2 way street. And employees should be aware of the added stresses their absence creates.

It also depends on what sector your in.

I'd assume admin/office staff fairly easy to cover

However if a brain surgeon has a day off. The nurses can't step up.

Soldato
OP
How do you work that one out? Why are we leeching off MIL? She doesn't work so what the point of paying £60 a day child care if it isn't usually a necessity?

True on manning up on the job front though!

Permabanned
There are 2 things:
1) hire a babysitter or nanny to look after the child for the week
2) claim sick leave from work. At least in the US you can use your sick leave to help family who is sick.

Only downside to 2) is once you have used up your sick allowance with children if you then need sick leave you are pretty hosed. Easiest to lay for 1) IMO.

My baby has an ear infection and fever so can't go to child care, I had to take a sick day to look after yesterday but today we have a nanny over.

You're entitled to take time off to care fo children, so his employer is a douche

Soldato
With my company I take the following position -if I treat people well they work better, they are more motivated and therefore better employees. Beyond the obvious legal right I would weigh it as thus. How on earth are you going to get an alternative. Will you really find a local, CRB checked and qualified childcarer to take a child at short notice - obviously not. Would it be fair and appropriate for a child to be dumped (effectively) with a stranger with no settling in period - obviously not. Therefore, the employer has no choice to accept these things happen. If they repeatedly happened then I may offer a suggestion that they find something more permanent and dependable both for their sanity and the sake of the child's development and happiness.

Soldato
I didnt say its a right to treat staff like crap. I also don't think I'm doing my staff a favour.
However it is a 2 way street. And employees should be aware of the added stresses their absence creates.

It also depends on what sector your in.

I'd assume admin/office staff fairly easy to cover

However if a brain surgeon has a day off. The nurses can't step up.

That's why they have on-call ;)

Because you're not independent.

No one is. If his kids went to a Childminder and she was sick and unable to look after the kids, how would that be any different? :rolleyes:

Soldato
For lower level staff use a temping agency.
For management or more skilled work train some staff so they can stand in. Offer an uplift in pay for the days that are required.

You wouldn't have to double up on staff if all the staff were centralised. However spread out your workforce so each member covers, say a county.

say those counties MUST get 20 deliveries to various businesses overnight Starting at a set time and finishing at a set time.

Getting a temp driver with the correct training and keys and clearance.

Organising that so there is a temp driver in each and every county just incase would be a full time job in itself.

Woden said:
It's simple stuff really. You can't run a business on a skeleton crew and no back up.

I'm sure there are a number of one man bands that run on a skeleton crew

Caporegime
I think it was a bit silly to take a week off just because he was in a mood, it isn't like by taking that week off he's going to be in any less of a mood - he sounds like a complete **** if staff taking short holidays stresses him... you'd have been better off being firm and stating it is for child care and you only need a day and a half.

I'd certainly look at leaving if you've got something else lined up.

Soldato
In this case I think the MD was a tool.

The OP went in to work and asked if he could finish early and have another day off.

He's attempted to negate any issues and offered to work from home.

Soldato
just leave. company doesnt deserve to exist with an MD like that. make sure you try and make the rest of the staff leave too....

take this company down from the inside ;)

Soldato
just leave. company doesnt deserve to exist with an MD like that. make sure you try and make the rest of the staff leave too....

take this company down from the inside ;)

Yeah great idea. Lets all hope the business folds owing loads of small companies money. That in turn also fold because they haven't been paid.

Why can't some people look at the big picture. Or is everyone stuck in their own little bubble

Back
Top Bottom