• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Am i bottlenecked?

Associate
I don't believe I am as currently running a 5600x on an auros b550 32gb of 16,18,18,38 timing ram and a 6900xt red devil ultimate now running on a 1000w seasonic psu.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21369607 when i was testing the card, it looked ok on 3d mark.

But whenever I play Valorant the fps isn't as high as expected, digging deeper the core clock drops to 600-1100 in the practice range but only when the practice bots are triggered. Am I being an idiot and missing something here, I've tried removing full screen optimisation and installing latest chipset drivers and am on latest bios.

Running at 1440p on a 240hz monitor with no freesync or power savings enabled

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cooling never goes past 65.C on hostpot and cpu never rises past 50.c. The target fps i was aiming for was 300 at high settings which it should be more than capable of yet in game would slowly drop frames into the 250-278 range. All I want is consistency and for the card to perform as expected, on low settings it happily sits at 800 frames until the bots are enabled and then its around 400 dropping to 330 ish.

Associate
1440p you should be getting 350-380 ish

you best bet is just to cap the frames to 240 and then turn the counter of and stop worrying

I found I keep looking up at the counter and play better with it turn of

Associate
OP
1440p you should be getting 350-380 ish

you best bet is just to cap the frames to 240 and then turn the counter of and stop worrying

I found I keep looking up at the counter and play better with it turn of
that is certainly a way to ignore it and one i was using till i noticed that the frames were dropping even in that situation which is what led me here :/ , things have improved with a clean install of the latest drivers but I found it an interesting bug.

Associate
that is certainly a way to ignore it and one i was using till i noticed that the frames were dropping even in that situation which is what led me here :/ , things have improved with a clean install of the latest drivers but I found it an interesting bug.

I need to turn my counter of in warzone become obsessed about it

Associate
OP
its not so much the counter, but the fact the graphics card just decides to enter a low power mode during a 3d game that's keeping the card at ~60 utilisation. Appreciate the suggestions, but i think my next step is another os reinstall.

Soldato
its not so much the counter, but the fact the graphics card just decides to enter a low power mode during a 3d game that's keeping the card at ~60 utilisation. Appreciate the suggestions, but i think my next step is another os reinstall.

I had this issue in battlefield 5 , it turned out (in this case) I needed FFR (Future Frame Rendering) to be enabled, but it was only this game that my card seemed to sit around 60-70 utilisation.

Associate
OP
Well the windows clean install has not solved the problem, I will be happily playing a game only for the clocks on the 6900xt to start falling to the 600-1400 range causing my game to hit slide show levels of play. I have seen the clock dropping happen in destiny 2 / valorant and starcitizen and am pulling my hair out due to it.

Destiny 2 happily hits 144 till it happens and drops to 1-2 fps for a few seconds and is very jarring
Valorant happily is at 300 till it happens and i get drops past 220
starcitizen is a mess anyway so no frame loss is really seen but as its at 30fps currently , thats not too surprising.

My resolutions so far :

invest in a 5900x , sell my gold sample 5600x and see if that fixes the issue

change motherboards to one with less problems (currently have usb issues and ethernet trouble), unfortunately all b550 itx mobos have something wrong somewhere but it would probably be to the asrock b550 phantom as long as i limit the ethernet to 1gps ¬¬

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

Associate
A quick google is showing this problem popping up everywhere for the 6xxx cards,

Clock drops, stutters, fps drops, etc.. even though temps are all fine.

People are just recommending driver reloads without any success, and AMD don't seem to be responding to anyone on their forums.

You seem fixated on the cpu but I really don't know why.

I sympathise, but I don't believe it's a hardware issue (other than the card itself of course).

The only hardware related thing I could suggest is trying a different psu. Perhaps, although powerful, your current one is having problems and can't provide the draw when needed. (had a similar problem back in the day with my 970. My 850w psu started dying and couldn't provide the power required, so kept having black screens etc.. in games)

Associate
OP
A quick google is showing this problem popping up everywhere for the 6xxx cards,

Clock drops, stutters, fps drops, etc.. even though temps are all fine.

People are just recommending driver reloads without any success, and AMD don't seem to be responding to anyone on their forums.

You seem fixated on the cpu but I really don't know why.

I sympathise, but I don't believe it's a hardware issue (other than the card itself of course).

The only hardware related thing I could suggest is trying a different psu. Perhaps, although powerful, your current one is having problems and can't provide the draw when needed. (had a similar problem back in the day with my 970. My 850w psu started dying and couldn't provide the power required, so kept having black screens etc.. in games)
Thank you for providing me with some faith, Was thinking of the cpu because of the possibility it was causing some sort of bottleneck, its my first time returning to team red in some time and first time with a low(ish)power cpu at least compared to things like 9900k's and the like.

PSU has unfortunately been recently changed to try and resolve a coil whine issue without any success, and whilst i cant say its definitely not to blame as fair as i know seasonic is a generally good brand and 1000w should be more than enough. That and the power not really dropping leads to believe it should be fine.

Soldato
Probably an AMD driver bug or something, I've seen a few of these posts where people with RX cards complain about clocks running at idle/2d/low while gaming. Never had any issue like this with Nvidia in my personal experience (then again the last AMd card I had, the 290x didn't have any issue either).

I mean, until very recently, Destiny was broken on RX cards and it took AMD forever to fix it so I would not be surprised if there is issues like that in other games

Back
Top Bottom