Am I insane?

Soldato
Hey folks just looking for a bit more of folks ideas on bikes and sizes.

I'm 6' 2" and heavy build so feel totally out of place on 600 sports bikes and to be fair prefer big bikes.

I currently ride a VFR750FG as most of you know. but with the bike being 24 i don't want to be riding it for ever and would prefer to keep it good and looking good.

So I have set myself 2-3 years on this bike with the outlook of something a bit newer. I have considered the likes of ZX10 and R1 but no mater what everyone keeps saying its a stupid idea and I will end up in a field in a ball of fire. but strangely they all say im quick and a good rider on the 750.

Looking at Insurance for a 2001 R1 I'm £370 for the year Fully comp. Which to me isn't bad for someone with hopefully by then 3 years NCD and over 25

I can appreciate that there is going to be a difference in such a period of time. But am I being utterly stupid in wanting a thou?

So whats your thoughts?

Soldato
Is the R1 any bigger than an R6? The bigger engine choice may not equate to a bigger frame.
I'm in the same position being about the same height (but I dare say I'm fatter!) and I made sports bikes look like a kids BMX under me.

I found upright traillies such as the DL1000 a great mix of power and comfort. More recently I'm on a ZZR1100 which I find is a good size for me and is faster than I'll ever need it to be.

Associate
Not a problem at all, a thou is no more dangerous or scary than any other bike as long as you have control of your right hand.

I don't know why people are so scared of 1 litre bikes? :(

Soldato
OP
Trail bikes dont appeal to me and things like ZZR just dont look right either.

Ive sat on an R1 of its age and a 05 zx10 both felt comfortable. the only 600 I have really sat on to be fair is the 08 R6. I don't fancy 600cc engine either. I know they say there faster on track but I wont be on track all that often.

Not a problem at all, a thou is no more dangerous or scary than any other bike as long as you have control of your right hand.

I don't know why people are so scared of 1 litre bikes? :(

That's my point. and everyone keeps looking like I'm stupid and saying yeah right. Im not interested in going warp speed on a straight so wont be getting strangled.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I'm 6ft 5 & the best/nicest bike I've ridden was a ZX9R & i had a 600 Sports tourer at the time. So comfortable & the brakes & handling just give you confidence & I am not really a biker. The R1 on the other hand feels like it hasn't got a stock when I am on it as I am right over the front of it. :p
R1's seem tiny to me get a Quacker. :cool:

Associate
Have you thought of an RSV Mille? A bit less power than the R1 or ZX10 but still a rocket. I've just bought one and the riding position is suited for taller riders. At 5'7" I'm barely able to reach the ground/bars, it's right at the edge of usable for me so you'd probably be about right!

Soldato
I originaly thought about the RSV1000R as not many of the folk I know round here have them. Its still on the cards.

It would have to be one with the twin cans high up though

Nice to see you contemplating something a little different the R1 reminds me of the 250/350 LC that came out in the eighties every body had one except me because i was poor :D you would go to BMF and see a sea of white and blue striped bikes but for good reason both were and are very good bikes.

Soldato
Im 6f 3" and rode an R1 for 5 years without any problems, granted its no tourer but I did plenty of long trips round scotland etc. The missus had a R6 and that was just 2 small, the R1 is defo a more tempting propsition for the taller rider.

The ZX12R is a great choice though, a tall bike that is insainly quick and can handle as well.

Soldato
I'm 6'3" and "heavily built", I got fed up of folding myself into a sports crouch, it didn't feel comfortable and I probably looked daft too. In 2-3 years time if I had the money I would be looking at the new Ducati Multistrada 1200, 150BHP, a decent riding position, great handling and extremely tweakable. A 3 year old one might be an affordable prospect.

Associate
6ft 8in - used to ride an Aprilia Falco, now ride an Aprilia RSVR. I found both bikes to be acceptable when fitted with adjustable rearsets.

R1 - had a ride of 99/00 model. Way too small but fiercely powerful. I'd have bought it as a play thing because it was great fun.

R6 - rode one home from Donny after coming a cropper in the final session of the day. Must have been the most hilarious thing that some folks saw all week. No idea where the bike went, it just seemed to disappear with me sitting on it.

Busa - had a play on one, plenty of space, lots of torque, handles well but not my cup of tea.

Baby blade - sat on one for a photo, most amusing...

Why not a Busa? I'm a twin fan and I just cannot get on with the Busa's aesthetics. If I decide to track the RSVR then it'll likely get replaced by the KTM 1190 RC8R (subject to a positive test ride).

I've also thought about getting a grand traillie for that life affirming Mondo Enduro-esque ride of a life, but both the missus and career keep getting in the way of that idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you thought of an RSV Mille? A bit less power than the R1 or ZX10 but still a rocket. I've just bought one and the riding position is suited for taller riders. At 5'7" I'm barely able to reach the ground/bars, it's right at the edge of usable for me so you'd probably be about right!

at 6'1" it suited me perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom