AM2 motherboards on pre-order

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Hmm so am2 processors about the same time then?

Says supports ddr 2 800 so will ddr 2 667 work on it?

Last edited:
Associate
this should mean some tasty price cuts on socket 939 cpus and mobos.
I see 3700s oem are now £128inc vat, pretty cheap for a cpu that hits 2.7ghz to 2.9ghz with a little extra vcore.

Rob H

Soldato
Well thats abit <no pun intended lol> dumb of the webmasters putting socket AM2 boards on the socket 939 section! :rolleyes:

*Golf Clap*

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Super Tigers said:
this should mean some tasty price cuts on socket 939 cpus and mobos.
I see 3700s oem are now £128inc vat, pretty cheap for a cpu that hits 2.7ghz to 2.9ghz with a little extra vcore.

Rob H

No real major price cuts I am afraid as prices are only dropping at the moment due to much better exchange rates in the UK's interest. :)

Socket 939 CPU's will mostly stop production with only the 3000, 3200 and 3500 remaining in production and socket 939 motherboards won't change much in price at all.

AM2 boards will start flooding the market late May along with lots of new processors for AM2 socket. A new FX62, X2's upto 5200 speeds and unfortunately single core processors are going to reduce with just speeds upto 3500 available as X2 will become mainstream with Sempron as the entry level option, again Sempron with be available on AM2 as well. :)

Soldato
I really do hope Conroe is 20% faster & cheaper! it means better value for money, I am surprised that the motherboards are priced lower than their skt 939 equivelants, maybe its to coax people into buying them?

LoadsaMoney said:
Isnt it funny how everyone said go 939 as thats going to become the mainstream, yet its being killed off as well. :D
:p :p :p I'm quite pleased I didnt go dual core now! ;)

Associate
But if you go the am2 route then you will have to splash out on ddr2 memory as well as cpu and mobo. At present I have some lovely samung UCCC 1gb sticks that happily run over 250mhz at 2.6v, if I swap out my winnie 3000 for a 3800x2 then this will keep me on par with most games for a long time.
From the previews and benches I have seen, I not overly impressed with AM2 but Intel's conroe looks far better. AM2 doesn't look a vast improvement over socket 939/K8 but Conroe looks to be VAST improvement over Prescott/netburst architecture.

Only time will tell, me thinks it is time to put the debit/credit cards away for a couple of months and see what plays out, let the early adopters pay the big bucks and show us mortals the mistakes that can be made.

Rob H

Back
Top Bottom