Amber Rudd fails to understand the internet

Caporegime
After all the ***** that was "London won't be changed by this", when for the past few decades our liberties have slowly being etched out of history and we seem to love being the poster child for the worst surveillance state on the planet, even China envies our capabilities... that is so incredibly sad.

I cringe massively whenever someone say's that we haven't/will not change our behaviours due to terrorism, but then totally ignore the government as some sort of vestigial limb when it forces that change anyway.

Soldato
Out of her depth. Probably comes from May herself who gets herself moist with this kind of thing.

Completely fails to understand or grasp the situation and too afraid to call out the root cause. Everyone will have their own personally assigned MI5 agent tagging along everywhere they go the way things are going.

"But we won't let them win!"

Caporegime
Terrorism is just part and parcel of everyday living in a big city, so says the Mayor of London. So what do you expect?

Fake news again. You have already been pulled up at least once about this that isnt his quote so please stop repeating it. Just cause Trump's son in law Tweeted it doesnt make it right or do you believe everything the Trumps say?

Caporegime
:D

on a more serious note, if they've got his phone then surely the issue is gaining access to his phone(and or that of whoever he's apparently contacted) not breaking end to end encryption

Man of Honour
Would it really hurt a politician to talk to someone who has some vague idea what they're talking about?

Amber Rudd wants intelligence service access to WhatsApp and internet companies to "do more" to stop terrorism being shared. Okay, you might think, fair enough but then she says this:

“What I’m saying is the best people who understand the technology, who understand the necessary hashtags to stop this stuff even being put up, not just taking it down, are going to be them. That’s why I would like to have an industry-wide board set up where they do it themselves.”

Necessary hashtags

Dear god.

I think she knows exactly what she's talking about.

Calling for the software industry to do something that can't be done and doesn't even make any sense but phrasing it in a way that superficially doesn't look like total nonsense while throwing in a few semi-technical terms for obfuscation is a free and effective part of promoting the idea that the software industry is the problem and chooses to be so, therefore the UK government is obliged to become ever more authoritarian to "protect" us. The ungood software industry deliberately fails to protect you from the doubleplusungood people, but Big Brother will watch you all the time. You need Big Brother. You will love Big Brother.

Caporegime
I think the worst part may be that supporters of the tory party will feel they to double-down on supporting such authoritarianism, right now is the perfect time for the right-wing zealots to appeal to this support.

Won't be long until sedition is being "against the will of the peeeepol" and not going along with "better together, stronger together" Britain, we really are waltzing right into dystopia and people want it.

Associate
The intelligent agencies should have the ability to view these mesaages. I'm with the government on this one. There should have course be channels to check and not let them abuse these powers.

Caporegime
The intelligent agencies should have the ability to view these mesaages. I'm with the government on this one. There should have course be channels to check and not let them abuse these powers.

Do they do? I thought with whatsapp only the sending and the receiver has the keys for decryption and not even Whatsapp knows what the message is unless there is already a backdoor and nobody is saying?

Caporegime
Oh goody. As long as we have channels to check they're not abusing the power.

I don't think you understand exactly what it is Theresa May, and by extension, Amber Rudd is asking for here. If you break encryption, that is pretty much it for the internet. You don't just allow the authorities - with "appropriate checks and balances" to read terrorists communications (remember the Bataclan? Yep, nothing happened on encrypted media there and yet the authorities still failed to act in time) - access to naughty messages, you break the internet. You break security, you break banking, you break email, you break everything. It's that simple.

Soldato
Do they do? I thought with whatsapp only the sending and the receiver has the keys for decryption and not even Whatsapp knows what the message is unless there is already a backdoor and nobody is saying?

Correct. The only people who can see the messages are the sender and the recipient. That's why the CIA spent more time and effort on breaking into phones than trying to break WhatsApps encryption. It's already illegal in the UK to refuse to unlock an encrypted device (5 year prison sentence I think?).

Back
Top Bottom