Amazon account 'hacked'

Associate
OP
I think I misread the 2nd part of his post - if its showing the username on his end in the store I'd start to suspect some kind of malware.

Possibly, I run Windows 10 with patches up to date, firewall enabled and anti-virus updated, I don't click random links, etc. Never say never though I guess, these things happen.

The reason why I think it's (probably) not malware is that my PC at work (different network) is also still logged into my Amazon account. When I click to change any settings I'm asked to log in again there, and the pre-filled e-mail address in Chrome is that other e-mail address - the same as my home PC. So if it is malware, it's on two different PCs not linked in any way.

I wonder if it's something along the lines of what Zefan said, either I've not changed my password when asked to or like an idiot I've reset it back to what it was before because I'm lazy. I have also used this password for other sites (not e-mail or any form of banking) so again, my own stupid fault :)

Associate
I can't get a code either.

Getting exactly the same thing here. Last time I checked it was only US amazon that could do 2FA so this was positive news but yeah...no text message coming through so can't finalise the set up. I would be using Google Authenticator for the codes but I can imagine it being very frustrating using 2FA relying on text messages and amazon just not sending them when you want to log in to buy something! Not a great impression of it so far.

Soldato
After reading this just enabled 2FA as I didn't know it was an option. Thumbs up from me.

Also didn't realise that the Microsoft Authenticator app would work with other services!

Soldato
Least it's not just me not getting the code...

Problem with this is, if you're not getting the code to enable it, what if you don't receive the code to login in future? You'll just keep getting locked out of your account :s
You can also use an authenticator app if you can't receive the code for whatever reason (once you've set up)

Soldato
Set up 2FA and received the code fine but what is an authenticator app?

There are a couple of apps I know which amazon say work, the Google and Microsoft Authenticator.

Basically, you download the app to a mobile device, you setup the authenticator on the amazon account page which will give you a barcode, or maybe a manual code to type into the authenticator on your phone. This way it links the two, so if you need a 2FA code to login, you just open the app, and add the generated code to the end of your normal password to sign in.

Soldato
Set up 2FA and received the code fine but what is an authenticator app?
Look at Google Authenticator app (Android and iphone). It's super easy.

I can't remember about how to set it up but I know I logged into Amazon US to do so. Possibly before it was enabled on the UK store (although it's always worked on the UK store). I probably set it up with a text code but I've now linked my account with Google Authenticator. Most sites that have 2FA will let you use that rather than text message for exactly the reasons people are complaining about.

EDIT: My girlfriend got some convincing Amazon spam a while ago. I just got her to go to Amazon, change her password and enable 2FA. She had the same thing on her Hotmail which is generally just spam city :o If in doubt, just go to the site (don't follow any links!), change your password and make sure you're using 2FA.

Soldato
I highly recommend the Authy authenticator app.

I use it for all the XenForo forums that I want to enable 2FA on, you can even do it on OcUK now

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/account/two-step

You just copy and paste the code. It's also more secure than SMS.

With SMS if someone really wants access your account it's not impossible for them to hijack your sim card by social engineering your network provider. There were a few cases where high profile YouTubers had their accounts hijacked because the hackers were able to get access to their mobile number by getting their provider to reassign it to a sim card in their possession.

Back
Top Bottom