Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Hi all,

I noticed they're launching new models and a cheaper version (that requires a separate speaker). Does anyone have one? Where do you tend to keep it and what do you tend to use it for? How is the speaker for playing music?

I'm tempted to put it in the kitchen for listening to music, asking questions, etc but at £100 I'm wondering if I'm better just sticking with some bluetooth speakers and switching on voice activated Siri following iOS 10 integration with non-Apple apps. Don't really fancy the battery drain though...

The cheaper one might be better but having a separate speaker constantly on seems like a waste of power and use of two sockets.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Not sure if to go with the Echo (£100) with it's average always on speaker or the Dot (£50) and use my bluetooth UE Boom. Boom has a better speaker but I'd have to manually switch it on when I want to listen to music.

Heard the Echo is better at picking up audio too.

Soldato
OP
This thread has really gone off topic to what I wanted to ask about...

Interested to hear how people plan to use them, which model they are going for and why, not if they think Theresa May is going to be sat listening to them play with their sausage.

Soldato
OP
As a speaker what is the sound quality like? also what are the options for using it as a radio to listen to BBC? I have a conventional radio in the kitchen currently and something like this which would be hands free is tempting. I do a fair bit of cooking so not having you touch the device would be handy.

BBC should be accessible via the TuneIn radio app, e.g. "Alexa, play Radio 1 on TuneIn."

Soldato
OP
My Echo Dot just shipped. Looking forward to testing it out this weekend with a bluetooth speaker. Only problem is that if I want to listen to music/radio I will need to switch the speaker on as it is battery powered.

Soldato
OP
Ironic seen as I am the OP but I've reserved a Google Home for £99. Does everything Echo does but also understands me better and can answer more questions. I think Alexa is too integrated with the US and we miss out on features. I still can't get named timers to work... Voice recognition for differing users is a big plus too.

Soldato
OP
Pre-ordered two of the new Echo's. One for the kitchen to replace the Dot and bluetooth speaker, and one for the bedroom for music.

As cool as the Spot would be, having it simply as an alarm clock is overpriced. The Echo Plus is also wasted on me as I have a Harmony.

Soldato
OP
Anyone use an echo dot with their Sonos Play 1? I have an Echo v2 but fancy upgrading to a Sonos. Just not sure if to go with a Play 1 (I have an echo dot I can use), or a One...

Hoping this way I can also group the Echo v2 with the Echo Dot played through the Sonos Play 1.

Soldato
OP
If you're just planning on plugging the dot into the Sonos and using it as a 'dumb' speaker, is it not worth looking at alternatives? The Sonos commands a premium because of the excellent wireless streaming, multi room audio etc it can do but you'd be using none of that ability.

Any suggestions as to an alternative?

Back
Top Bottom