Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
What's confusing about it?
Seems pretty good and diverse to me.

It's fine now I've had a proper look, what the actual plus model had extra was confusing to begin with but with me already having a hue bridge it's no use.
I'd also seen the spot advertised but couldn't see it on the uk site.
Wouldn't mind a spot as an alarm clock

Soldato
OP
Pre-ordered two of the new Echo's. One for the kitchen to replace the Dot and bluetooth speaker, and one for the bedroom for music.

As cool as the Spot would be, having it simply as an alarm clock is overpriced. The Echo Plus is also wasted on me as I have a Harmony.

Soldato
Website has updated now
"You can control hundreds of devices including light bulbs, locks, switches, thermostats and more from a variety of brands, including Philips Hue, WeMo, TP-Link, Hive, Nest, Samsung SmartThings, Netatmo, Tado° and more"

They are doing a deal with a free Hue bulb, unfortunately not a bayonet fitting though.

I noticed that it would be useless for me all my fittings are b22.

Think I'm going to get a plus for downstairs to connect to evohome, nest protect, smart bulbs (maybe the Ikea ones) and the Samsung Smartthings exterior cctv camera.

Soldato
Just got a dot today, was going to wait until the Google event before taking the plunge but the pace of development with Google (bringing in new services etc) seems really slow compared to the Amazon. Besides, the Echo currently works with everything I want it to, so I don't have to wait to see if Google catches up.

So far, despite being a pain to set up on my WiFi for some reason I think I'll actually get some use out of it in the lounge and kitchen. Things like turning the lights off in other rooms or pausing the telly after I've walked into the kitchen. Also "Alexa, put the kettle on" hasn't quite gotten old yet :p

Soldato
Just got a dot today, was going to wait until the Google event before taking the plunge but the pace of development with Google (bringing in new services etc) seems really slow compared to the Amazon. Besides, the Echo currently works with everything I want it to, so I don't have to wait to see if Google catches up.

So far, despite being a pain to set up on my WiFi for some reason I think I'll actually get some use out of it in the lounge and kitchen. Things like turning the lights off in other rooms or pausing the telly after I've walked into the kitchen. Also "Alexa, put the kettle on" hasn't quite gotten old yet :p

How much was your kettle? I'm looking for a smart kettle

Soldato
Soldato
Only got it today (we actually got the white limited edition one), so it's hard to make a full judgement. But the wife was looking for a while and all the 'nice looking' kettles that had temperature control weren't that far off price wise - so for us it didn't seem too bad.

Associate
I 90% thought it would be this kettle - Do you really feel it was worth the price?

I Went for this smart kettle, https://www.myappkettle.com/ £129 Amazon or other retailers - works great with Echo and IFTTT and also good quality.
Customer service is excellent too.

Is it worth £129 - No - I don't think any kettle is worth that kind of money when you can buy a £5 kettle that gives the same end result.
Still it's geeky and I really like for that very reason.

Caporegime
what is the new plus about?

Will be kityting the house out properly soon so looking at getting a few of these along with hue bulbs etc (dear God that's gonna be expensive)

for some more traditional lights are there any good alexa enabled things that can go between the lamp and the wall socket to make it smart?

Associate
I have a Dot in the kitchen connected to my sound bar that I use for music, news, that kind of thing. I've another Dot in the lounge that mainly just gets used for controlling my Hue lights. Then an a full size Alexa in the bedroom for listening to music and also controlling the lights.

Back
Top Bottom