Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
Well, this sucks. I mainly use Visa credit card (Nationwide) for everything.
What would anyone recommend for another credit card type which I can use specifically for Amazon?
I might look into an Amazon Platinum Mastercard

Everywhere else has no problem (yet) accepting Visa Credit cards

Tight ass Amazon!

Dear ,
We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

You can update your Prime membership here, and if you have any subscriptions on Amazon.co.uk, you can update them on the ''manage your subscription'' page here.

We know this may be inconvenient, and we’re here to help you through this transition so you can continue enjoying Amazon’s low prices and wide selection. Please visit this help page for more information on payment methods, or go directly to your account.

Soldato
OP
so you don't have a visa debit card?

I can see the death of Visa at some point with all the crypto and other ways to pay.

The monopoly is pretty much broken
I do and use debit cards for direct debits.
All purchases (online and highstreet) I use Visa Credit so credit score builds up, better protection and I just find controlling it easier than buying on debit. When I get paid each month, I clear the credit card amount

Soldato
OP
Amazon suggest using a Debit card instead of a Credit card. Does a Debit card offer the same consumer protection that a Credit card offers?
No, I dont think it does. I've also build up a lot of credit using my credit card (Amazon and many other places)

Soldato
OP
I use my Halifax Clarity Mastercard (and pay it off straight away), so this won't affect me but it doesn't sound great.

Is this related to Brexit? Does Europe not have VISA?

Europe does have Visa. From what i've jsut read, Visa Credit cards are accepted by Amazon that are issued outside the UK

Soldato
OP
Visa is the problem here, not Amazon. Visa bumped UK transaction fees from 0.3% to 1.5% last month as the UK is no longer bound by the EU limit
Fair play to Amazon if that’s true.
Do Amazon offer their own form of widely accepted credit cards? I thought the main ones accepted at most places was either Visa credit/debit or Mastercard

Soldato
OP
Not everyone carrys a wallet with cards now a days. I do because it has mine and GFs joint card but most people just carry a phone.

Tapping a phone on a screen then tilting it to use faceID to complete authentication is much quicker than carrying a wallet and messing around getting cards out.
Apple Wallet you can store all the cards / passes you need

Soldato
OP
Till your phone dies. Or your bank isn't compatible with mobile pay. Or mobile pay fails and you need to fall back on chip and pin. Or the transaction value is too high.
Theres a small powerbank always in my backpack thats good for about 4 charges (so over a week)
My banks are compatible with Apple pay and have the cards on my phone. Mobile pay has never failed for me.
Yes, if the value is too high this is where card and PIN is required

Soldato
OP
Lol dude who argues convenience and speed of mobile pay carriers around a back pack of accessories, including the very card he is saying isn't convenient :o:D
Most of the time I have backpack with gym stuff/other sports stuff and water

If I go to local shops for groceries and out for things like lunch / meals then I generally just take my wallet

Soldato
OP
Can’t see where this has anything to do with Amazon not accepting Visa credit cards, but when my Santander Visa Debit was coming to its expiry date last September, Santander notified me that my Visa Debit card would be replaced with a M/C Debit card.
:confused:
Amazon are not accepting Visa credit cards any more (from Jan 2022) It has everything to do with it.

Can anyone see some logic in this reply i'm somehow missing??

Soldato
OP
Which for the average person would likely be a bad thing to do, as B2B transactions have few of the consumer protections B2C ones do.

Personally I'm probably end up picking up amazon gift cards to pay for stuff - I'm guessing amazon loses a lot more than 1.5% of the face value in the share of the price that the retailers take.
Can you buy Amazon gift cards from other retailers (high street or online) who accept Visa credit?
Edit, of course you can. I’ve bought them in Wilkos before. But at the physical cards the same as buying them as a digital top up direct from Amazon? Is the same buyer protection covered on gift cards?
So far it seems like the best option is an M&S mastercard creditcard. Build some points for things too

Soldato
OP
Update! email just in

Dear [name]

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

It looks like they were just testing the water or came to a deal with Visa a few days before!!

Back
Top Bottom