• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 3900x vs 5600x

Associate
For gaming 5600X. For video editing 3900x. Watching films is light weight. Makes no difference.
This.. /\

The 3900X has double the cores, which is always more favourable for rendering!

The 5600X has a good IPC gain over the previous gen and 6 core CPUs are a sweet spot for gaming..

The question is what GPU are you using and at what resolution?

Soldato
Assuming that you already have a 3900X based on your signature, I certainly wouldn't move to a 5600X. At best that's a sidegrade. The 5600X is a faster gaming CPU when you're CPU-bound, but as you seem to have a 1440p monitor, that won't happen too often. It only offers a couple of percent improvement on average at that resolution, since you're GPU-bound most of the time.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/17.html

Associate
OP
That's brilliant help, thank you! I think I'll save up and go for something a bit chunkier then the 5600 then. Great advice from all, I shouldn't spontaneously shop at night without doing my research!

Soldato
Agree with the others. I'd say it's great swap from a 3600, or even 3700X but I woudn't from a 3900X unless high refresh rate gaming was your only use.

Soldato
That's brilliant help, thank you! I think I'll save up and go for something a bit chunkier then the 5600 then. Great advice from all, I shouldn't spontaneously shop at night without doing my research!

I'm sure there are better things to be spending your money on. A 5900X and 5950X would be quite an expensive upgrade given the poor resale value of the 3900X and so wouldn't be worth it imo.

Keep the money for a 2022Q4 or 2023 upgrade if you absolutely must spend your money on your PC is my advice.

Only exception to that is if you actually like as a hobby rebuilding and changing components every few months.

Associate
OP
I'm sure there are better things to be spending your money on. A 5900X and 5950X would be quite an expensive upgrade given the poor resale value of the 3900X and so wouldn't be worth it imo.

Keep the money for a 2022Q4 or 2023 upgrade if you absolutely must spend your money on your PC is my advice.

Only exception to that is if you actually like as a hobby rebuilding and changing components every few months.

Thanks Muon, looks like I've been a bit hasty here. I'll hold off changing the cpu until things either settle, or more of an upgrade gets released then I guess

Soldato

I wish I could think more like this I'd have saved a fortune over the last few years :)

Back
Top Bottom