• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Driver

Soldato
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what exactly this driver does and how it differs from the PPM Provisioning File Driver?

Specifically, is it required on a single-CCX 7800X3D? I know the Provisioning Driver isn't as its jobs is to park the secondary CCX cores when a game is detected, which is obviously irrelevant on a single-CCX CPU but I can't find anything definitive on the Optimizer driver.

TIA

Caporegime
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what exactly this driver does and how it differs from the PPM Provisioning File Driver?

Specifically, is it required on a single-CCX 7800X3D? I know the Provisioning Driver isn't as its jobs is to park the secondary CCX cores when a game is detected, which is obviously irrelevant on a single-CCX CPU but I can't find anything definitive on the Optimizer driver.

TIA
It’s primarily only for dual CCD X3D parts, but it still gets installed even for the single CCD parts.

EDIT - Updated.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm still curious what it does though :)
It optimises performance by allowing games to prefer using the X3D CCD over the frequency CCD. It also takes into account the best performant cores of each CCD ranked by CPCC to ensure those are used correctly. Without this feature, Windows, apps and games would not be instructed to use a particular CCD based on use case. Thanks to this, Windows will use the frequency CCD for the highest clock frequency and highest single thread performance in regular Windows usage. You can check this via Task Manager > Performance > Show Logical Cores where you will see the cache CCD asleep and the second active with work for the dual CCD X3D parts.
Example.

Most games (but not all) will use the X3D CCD for the best gaming performance. Apps (but not all) will mostly prefer the frequency CCD.

The PPM driver is a container for a collection of configuration settings. The OS carries a default setting of this file, however it can be customised and updated via the AMD Chipset driver installation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From what I can tell, the Provisioning File Driver is responsible for directing games to the primary CCX and parking the cores on the secondary CCX and thus obviously isn't needed on a 7800X3D.

But it seems it's the Optimizer driver which prioritises certain cores over others, even on the same CCX. Wouldn't this still be beneficial, even on a single CCX CPU like the 7800X3D?

Soldato
From what I can tell, the Provisioning File Driver is responsible for directing games to the primary CCX and parking the cores on the secondary CCX and thus obviously isn't needed on a 7800X3D.

But it seems it's the Optimizer driver which prioritises certain cores over others, even on the same CCX. Wouldn't this still be beneficial, even on a single CCX CPU like the 7800X3D?

AMD drivers/the OS already do this.

Soldato
OP
Well I'm installing these chipset drivers now on a fresh Win11 install and it's automatically selecting both of these drivers, despite using a 7800X3D.

Now I don't know whether to install one or both of them or not.

EDIT: Most advice I've read suggests both of these drivers are only relevant to dual-CCX X3D parts and not the 7800X3D. I've also seen reports that the PPM driver can cause all sorts of weird issues with games.

I'm not installing either for now and will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I'm installing these chipset drivers now on a fresh Win11 install and it's automatically selecting both of these drivers, despite using a 7800X3D.

Now I don't know whether to install one or both of them or not.

EDIT: Most advice I've read suggests both of these drivers are only relevant to dual-CCX X3D parts and not the 7800X3D. I've also seen reports that the PPM driver can cause all sorts of weird issues with games.

I'm not installing either for now and will see how it goes.
I just checked on this and it's normal that it installs both - even for 7800X3D, so I was mistaken when I said above that it only gets installed for dual CCD parts.

So you can install the drivers and things will work fine, you don't need to uncheck anything. Or just don't install the Chipset drivers at all if it makes you sleep better at night.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just checked on this and it's normal that it installs both - even for 7800X3D, so I was mistaken when I said above that it only gets installed for dual CCD parts.

So you can install the drivers and things will work fine, you don't need to uncheck anything. Or just don't install the Chipset drivers at all if it makes you sleep better at night.

Yeah that's really useful, thanks.

Of course I'm going to install the chipset drivers. I'm merely questioning these two specific drivers and whether they're required.

As for just installing all the drivers and "things will work fine", I've found several posts to the contrary, saying the PPM driver causes issues. If I don't need it for my CPU, why take the risk by installing it?

Caporegime
Yeah that's really useful, thanks.

Of course I'm going to install the chipset drivers. I'm merely questioning these two specific drivers and whether they're required.

As for just installing all the drivers and "things will work fine", I've found several posts to the contrary, saying the PPM driver causes issues. If I don't need it for my CPU, why take the risk by installing it?
There was an issue if you switched from a dual CCD part to a single CCD part that the Chipset driver could cause performance degradation, the resolution was a clean OS install.

If you've never had a dual CCD X3D part, it won't be an issue though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There was an issue if you switched from a dual CCD part to a single CCD part that the Chipset driver could cause performance degradation, the resolution was a clean OS install.

If you've never had a dual CCD X3D part, it won't be an issue though.

Yes I'm aware of that from some of the review sites/channels that got caught out.

I have, however also seen reports on Reddit and the like of people saying they had general stability issues with the PPM driver installed. As this driver's job appears to be to "figure out" what type of application you're using on-the-fly and prioritise/park cores/CCXs, I can believe it could get things wrong at times and cause issues. Basically why even risk it if I don't need the driver anyway. I'll see how I get on without to start with as it's easier to add it later than remove it.

Soldato
Yes I'm aware of that from some of the review sites/channels that got caught out.

I have, however also seen reports on Reddit and the like of people saying they had general stability issues with the PPM driver installed. As this driver's job appears to be to "figure out" what type of application you're using on-the-fly and prioritise/park cores/CCXs, I can believe it could get things wrong at times and cause issues. Basically why even risk it if I don't need the driver anyway. I'll see how I get on without to start with as it's easier to add it later than remove it.

FYI I installed it via AMD chipset drivers on my new Win11, was ticked by default, no issues in gaming and that's my main use, I do use 7800X3D with Asus B650e Gaming E.

So in my experience no issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
FYI I installed it via AMD chipset drivers on my new Win11, was ticked by default, no issues in gaming and that's my main use, I do use 7800X3D with Asus B650e Gaming E.

So in my experience no issues.

Fair enough. I've installed the Optimiser driver but not the PPM one and so far everything is fine :)

Back
Top Bottom