AMD 5000 build

Associate
Hi All

I'm looking to build a new AMD 5000 based PC (around £1500 budget) that will be used for my work/studies/training/virtualisation and productivity. I don't play games and don't do video editing. I do use VMware Workstation Pro to run VMs for testing/research/studying/work etc.

I wanted to check that the following combination of hardware would be ok:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
  • Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 64GB DDR4 3600 (2 x 32GB modules)
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black OR be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (can't decide)
  • Boot storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
I already have an ATX case, BeQuiet 850w PSU and some SATA/NVMe SSD's for data storage and VMs as well as a GTX 1050 video card I'll be using in the above build.

This will be my first ever AMD system!

Associate
OP
Can't see any problem with that.
May want to get the adata xpg sx8200 pro NVME instead of the samsung, it's cheaper, performs well and has a five year warranty.

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the brand adata but was also looking at the following PCIe 4 NVMe drives for the boot drive:

• Gigabyte AORUS 1 TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD

Associate
There's not much difference between pcie 3 and pcie 4 drives, up to you if you want to spend the money both of those drives are decent.
The Samsung 980 pro and the Western Digital Black SN850 are the fastest drives available, if you want the best.

Associate
OP
I appreciate what you saying re the difference between PCIe 3 and 4 drives but I'm looking for maximum IOPS/throughput as I will be running some VMs on this drive and am also looking for a drive to last 5yrs+ so I don't have to bother with replacing/upgrading the boot drive later on. The boot drive doesn't have to be a Samsung even though the speeds are excellent but the Gigabyte/Sabrent have slightly slower speeds but are still wicked fast. Struggling to decide here!

Soldato
also looking for a drive to last 5yrs+so I don't have to bother with replacing/upgrading the boot drive later on
Despite of super luxury price Samsung dropped 980 Pro's write endurance specification to level of even basic budget drives like Kingston A2000.

Sabrent Rocket simply curb stomps Samsung in TBW.
https://www.storagereview.com/review/sabrent-rocket-nvme-4-0-ssd-review
Like most Phison E12 based PCIe v3 drives beating even 970 Pro...

And if there are other drives for workstuff boot drive doesn't need benchmarketing numbers for anything.
Loading of Windows is mostly loading of hibernation file with little IOPS load and really sequantial read.
And neither is amount of data read big enough to need super high transfer rate.

Cheaper board if going X570.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
And with better chipset cooler than in that Marketroid Master with fan closer to graphics card and constricted by marketing excrement.
Gigabyte has simply worser chipset cooler designs when moving upwards from Aorus Elite.

Associate
OP
Ok so I won't be able to spend what I wanted to on the above AMD 5000 build so have had to scale back so I'm now looking at a B550 build comprising of the following:

• Gigabyte B550 aorus elite
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 32B DDR4 3600 (2 x 16GB)
  • Samsung 980 PRO 500 GB PCIe 4.0 (boot drive)
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 3.0 (data drive and VMs)
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black OR be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
I'll be reusing 4 x 960GB Samsung SSDs in a RAID 10 setup with the 4 onboard SATA ports on the motherboard as a backup drive and for other extra storage if/when the NVMe drive fills up. I was considering the AMD Ryzen 3 3300x but its out of stock. I think I can purchase everything above as its in stock or will be in stock in the coming week or two. The one thing I really like about this B550 build is that I can a) upgrade the RAM and b) can upgrade to an AMD 5000 CPU when they become available/more affordable.

I do have two smaller Samsung NVMe drives from another machine I could use in the above build in addition to the two new NVMe drives. Would a PCIe card with two NVMe drives installed in them work ok with this build? (so 2 x NVMe drives using the onboard ports, 2 x NVMe drives using the PCIe card and 4 x SATA SSD drives using the onboard SATA ports). I was worried there may be an issue with the PCIe lanes? I will be using my GTX 1050 video card in the top PCIe slot for my 3 monitors.

Thanks again for any help and feedback!

Soldato
Not in stock at Overclockers but the MSI B550 Tomahawk is a better motherboard but otherwise, all good with the other choices. The 3600 is also sadly overpriced at overclockers so do some research on that.

Associate
OP
Not in stock at Overclockers but the MSI B550 Tomahawk is a better motherboard but otherwise, all good with the other choices. The 3600 is also sadly overpriced at overclockers so do some research on that.

Why is the MSI board better than the Gigabyte? The Gigabyte supports a TPM module (optional extra) that I need for Bitlocker. I was also looking at the Asus B550 board but I couldn't see a TPM header in the manual so removed it from my shortlist.

Stock is proving challenging when looking at all the components needed for this upgrade. Am beginning to think I should wait until the new year for the upgrade!

Soldato
Why is the MSI board better than the Gigabyte? The Gigabyte supports a TPM module (optional extra) that I need for Bitlocker. I was also looking at the Asus B550 board but I couldn't see a TPM header in the manual so removed it from my shortlist.

Stock is proving challenging when looking at all the components needed for this upgrade. Am beginning to think I should wait until the new year for the upgrade!
Stock for the 5900x isn't going to get any better, so get your order in if you ultimately want that.

The MSI board is just very well reviewed and recommended a lot, I haven't read much about the Gigabyte but if you need TPM then that solves that question I guess.

Associate
OP
Looks like the MSI board does have a TPM connector. It has 6 x SATA ports and one USB-C vs. 4 x SATA ports for the Gigabyte and no USB-C. The MSI also has dual NICs but none of these items matter to me. I've owned Gigabyte before and was happy with it (currently have an Asus motherboard). Would really like another Asus board but it must have TPM (maybe I missed it on another B550 model, not sure).

Associate
OP
I've been waiting months to build a new AMD system but so many parts have been out of stock since I started looking so am now looking at an Intel system as there seems to be stock for the items I need so how does the following build/combination look:

• Intel 4 Core i3 10100F Comet Lake CPU
  • MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk (Socket LGA 1200) and optional TPM header
  • CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 32GB DDR4 3600
  • BeQuiet cooler
  • I'll be using my existing two Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe drives...one for boot and one more VMs
I like this setup as I liked the AMD Ryzen 3 3300x system as there is room to grow/upgrade. The only real difference I can find so far is that the Z490 "only" supports PCIe 3.0. Will Z490 support PCIe 4.0 when the 11th Gen CPUs arrive Q1 2021?

The other thing I find interesting is that the above i3 CPU is roughly equivalent to an i7 7700k but for the fraction of the price! I chose the 10100F version as I have my own GPU.

Comments/thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom